Wednesday, May 30, 2012

CCCT 2012 - May23

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Wednesday, May23rd
After posing for the obligatory photo at Mile 0 we reloaded our bikes on Bob's truck and he drove us over to the sea shore. Fortunately the tide was out as neither Bev or I fancied dipping our wheels in salty water and risking any corrosion to our bikes. After taking some scenery shots and convincing Bob that I would photo shop our bikes in (he was threatening to throw our bikes in the water) he agreed to drive us to Swartz Bay so we could catch the 11:00 AM ferry to Tsawwassen. Bob didn't want to get caught up in the ferry queue and risk not being able to turn around so he dropped us off at a parking lot about 6 kms from the ferry terminal. We unloaded our bikes and gear and after loading our panniers set off for the ferry terminal. Unfortunately we missed the 11:00 ferry and had to wait for the next ferry at 1:00 PM. When paying for the ferry crossing I asked the attendant for a Senior's discount. She asked to see our BC Gold Cards which of course we weren't able to produce. I complained that it was a form of discrimination as we were Seniors in Ontario. Later when I checked our boarding passes I noticed that she had given us Senior's Passes and had only charged us $2.00 each for our bikes. That sort of made up for the 2 hour wait. Just as we were boarding the ferry I discovered I had another rear tire flat. I was able to pump it up enough to wheel my bike unto the ferry. I took my previously flatted tube up to the lounge along with my patch kit and pump and after the 3rd attempt managed to get my tube repaired.
Our departure was delayed by 15-20 minutes so it was 3:00 PM when we arrived in Tsawwassen. Once we were able to go below to our bikes I quickly pumped up my rear tire again so that I could wheel it off the ferry. We found a quiet place by the restrooms where there was a picnic table and proceeded to fix my flatted rear tire. This meant I had to take all my panniers off to make the necessary repair. Finally we were able to start cycling towards Delta at 4:00 PM.
We cycled as far as Ladner and stopped at the Sundance Motel. It was $89 for a room but we didn't feel like cycling in rush hour traffic and it appeared a storm was brewing. We put away our bikes and walked over to the PUB for a cold one and dinner. I had Fish & Chips (2 pieces) and Bev had a snitzel burger with fries. Very good. It was $29 + tip. I took some pictures of Serbio enjoying a beer & watching the hockey game NJ vs NY. Soon it was time to get some sleep to see if we could put some kms on our bikes.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Roly,

    Seems like the dates you put on the postings are a week out—i.e. you put the title as the 23rd and it's actually posted on the 30th.

    Now that you are on the mainland the cycling should get down to a regular schedule. Have fun.

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony,
    It's not always possible to get a motel with wi-fi so I'm a little behind with the blog. Now in Christina Lake on our way to Castlegar/Nelson tomorrow. Cheers, Roly & Bev

    ReplyDelete