Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 40 - Europe 2011

Day 40 - Sunday, July 3, 2011 - Rackeve to Kalocsa - Trip 85.68 kms Time 4:40:58

After a pretty good night's sleep I got up at 7:00 and while waiting for b'fast did some packing. At 7:50 there was a knock on my door. Madame had brought me my b'fast on a tray. There was a hot sweet drink which could have been some sort of herbal tea with sugar added. Very strong coffee with cream and sugar and 2 biscuits. Two toasted ham and cheese sandwiches and the obligatory white paprika. After b'fast I finished packing, tried to get a receipt but there was a language problem. I left for Domsod at 8:43. Crossed over the bridge again and took the 51 south. Before setting off I set my GPS for Domsod and made a note of the distance i.e. 8.34 kms. By the time I reached Domsod I had done 13 kms and that's not counting several bunny trails that my GPS wanted to take! I of course ignored it and took the most direct and smoothly paved route.
I passed by Tass and kept on the 51 to Szalkszentmarton, Dunavecse, Apostag, Dunaegyhaza, Solt and Harta where I stopped for lunch. There was not much in the way of scenery. Just the usual farm fields of corn, wheat, sunflowers, some orchards i.e. apples, appricots, etc. I actually saw a few farmers working in the fields, one plowing, one trying to fix a wheat combine, etc. I stopped at a garage on the way to Harta and was able to buy a map of Hungary which I probably won't need as tomorrow I hope to be in Croatia. I paid 1070 Ft for it!
After going into a cafe, buying a cold drink and making a pit stop I found a park bench in the shade in a small park. I made myself a cheese and ham brotchen (instead of ham and cheese for a change) for lunch.
While I was eating an apple a young mother and her 10-12 year old son arrived on their bikes loaded down with camping gear. They were also stopping for lunch. I invited them to join me as I had the only bench in the shade. They were quite happy to do so to get out of the hot sun for awhile. They were on their way to a nearby lake to so some camping. I told them about my trip. They were suitably impressed. The mother spoke very good English.
I left at 1:00 to continue on to Dunapataj and arrived in Kalocsa at 2:00. The guide book also mentions that this is the world's biggest paprika growing area and that in the fall when the paprika is ripe and ready to be picked the fields are on fire. I would love to have seen that. I'm sure it would have been quite spectacular.
I had now cycled 80+ kms against a fairly strong headwind all day and my legs were feeling a bit tired especially after yesterday's discouraging marathon. I asked for directions to an hotel and was told to get off the 51 and go into the Centrum. I found the Hotel Kalocsa, which was a wellness hotel, but it was full. I noticed it had a "Wi-Fi Zone" cafe. I asked for directions to any other nearby hotels and was told to go a bit further along the main street where I would find 2 pensions. I stopped at the 1st one. It was 4800Ft/night. No b'fast. No Internet. Nevertheless, I checked in. Once I was in my room I checked for an "unprotected" router and on 2nd attempt was able to check my e-mail and send a short situation report to kids, etc. Did some laundry and lay down for a nap. The Wi-Fi connection was to shaky to attempt typing up my blog. I went out with my Notebook and checked around the hotel for an Internet cafe but ended up walking back to the Hotel Kalocsa cafe. I bought a Nestea and was able to log on to the Internet and type up Day 38 of my blog. I also got a reply from Doris so I now knew that my earlier e-mail had gotten through. I then looked for a place to have dinner. I had to settle for a pizza/gyros place across from my Hotel Piros Arany. I had a nice cold beer with my cheese and pepperoni (two very hot string bean like chili peppers!) sitting on top of a plain cheese pizza. When will I ever learn that "pepperoni" in Europe has a totally different meaning than in North America!!! I returned to the hotel and finished writting my journal for the day. I checked on my bike on my way up to my room. It was still locked up in the inner court yard at the back of the hotel. Oh and BTW did I mention it was raining again - just a light shower, but....
I hope to make it to the Hungarian/Croatian border tomorrow or to Mohacs which is not far from the border crossing.
Cheers, Roly

This blog was posted at the Hotel Waldinger in Osijek, Croatia, on Tuesday, July 5, 2011

1 comment:

  1. Hi Roly,
    Glad to see you're switching it out with the ham & cheese and the cheese & ham sandwiches ;) Can't be too monotonous.
    Sounds like it's a little "iffy" where you are right now but I'm still quite envious of your trip. I'm headed up to my brother's place in Red Lake on Sunday. It's a 2,000 km trip each way and I'm looking forward to it—and of course I'm driving, not cycling—what a wimp I am.
    Good luck,
    Tony

    ReplyDelete