Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 43 - Europe 2011

Water tower in Vukovar, Croatia



Day 43 - Wednesday, July 6, 2011 - Osijek, Croatia to Ilok, Croatia - Trip 85.57 kms Time 4:38

I got up at 6:40 after a good night's sleep. Very quiet in spite of room being on busy main street. I went to the restaurant on the 1st floor for b'fast at 7:15. There was plenty of everything to choose from including fresh fruit i.e. watermelon, Honey Dew melon, etc. Also scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, etc. and ketchup! After a hearty b'fast I went back to my room and finished packing. On the way to my room I spotted a water cooler in the hallway. I took my 2 water bottles and filled them with nice cool water. I carried my panniers down to the lobby. Paid 758 HRK (1 HRK for insurance and 7 HRK for taxes).
I left my bags in the lobby and went across the street to a local bank to try and change my KN to Serbian and/or Euros. The bank teller would only change Euros to KN. I went to the next bank and was able to exchange some of my excess KN for 200 Euros. No Serbian (Dinars) currency. They would not take any Ft.
I went back to the hotel and collected my bike from the storage room. I asked the receptionist for directions to Nemetin. I just had to take the main street in front of the hotel all the way out of town which turned out to be about 5 kms.
I stopped to take photos of the "mine field signs" just outside of town near Nemetin and a water tower in Vukovar which was used for target practice during the civil war. It's been left standing as a reminder of the futility of war. I had lunch at a pizza place just outside of Vukovar. I actually got a pizza with proper pepperoni sausage on it plus bacon and ham which I had not asked for plus a separate pitcher of tomato sauce to pour on it!
After Vukovar I had several tough hills to climb in very hot 35 C + temperatures. There was no breeze at all. I arrived in Ilok at 3:00 and checked into Hotel Dunav, a three star hotel by the Danube, at 300 KN/night including b'fast and Internet. I put my bike away in a storage room around back and went to the bar overlooking the Danube for a beer (2). Filled in my journal. On the way back to my room I passed by an ice cream freezer. I had 2 scoops for 10 KN. Back in my room I set up the Notebook. I had no problems connecting to the Internet with a cable. Did some laundry including 2 pair of cycling shorts, arm & leg warmers, etc. The water was pretty black by the time I finished. There is a lot of black smoke coming from most the big trucks that pass me. Lay down for a nap after a shower.
I got up at 6:00 PM and typed up Day 41 of blog before going down to the patio for dinner. The hotel was quite isolated and there were no other restaurants within walking distance. I ordered Chicken Breast in Parisian Style with a glass of white wine. I had passed many vineyards on the ride from Osijek to Ilok. The guide book also mentions that Ilok is the center of one of the most fruitful wine producing areas in Slavonia which include Riesling, Savagnin and Burgundies. The white wine was excellent. The chicken, on the other hand, was a bit tough and came with 5 scoops of mashed potatoes and pommes croquettes. Whoever heard of a Parisian dish with so many potatoes? I ate it all! Plus another 1/4 L of white wine. It really was a good wine.
While I was in my room I could hear a guy singing accompanied by accordion and drums. When I was sitting in the outdoor patio restaurant I couldn't hear him. I took several pictures of the sunset over the Danube and one for 2 couples at the table next to me who were having quite a feast. I bought a large bottle of water (750 cl for 15 KN) before going back up to my room. Once again I could hear the guy with his b... caught in his accordion or so it seemed. It was coming from across the river in Serbia! I typed up my blog for Day 42. The music/noise went on and on 'til way past midnight. I had to close the balcony door/window and was able to drown out most of the it.
Cheers, Roly

This blog was posted in Ruma, Serbia, on Thursday, July 7, 2011 at the Vila HIT Hotel

No comments:

Post a Comment