Thursday, July 23, 2009

South Shields to Howick (near Alnwick)

Thursday July 23rd. Finally got some decent weather so decided to cycle to Howick to visit my niece, Lyndsey, who lives at West Lodge at Howick Hall Estate. I left South Shields at 8:45 and cycled to the ferry crossing for North Shields. Only had to wait 5 minutes for the next ferry to arrive. The ferry crossing cost £1.10 and left at 9:15. It only took 10 minutes to cross over to N. Shields. I had my GPS on and noticed that the ferry was travelling at 10 mph. Once in N. Shields I followed the road along the coast passing through Whitley Bay, Seaton Sluice, Blyth,East Sleekburn, Ellington, Lesbury, Boulmer, Longhoughton and arriving in Howick at 2:00. A very flat ride with only a few easy climbs and a lovely tail wind to help me on the way. At Boulmer I came to a fork in the road and saw a sign forbiding cars from proceeding along the coast but allowing bikes. I asked a local if I could continue if I could get to Howick by going along the coastal route. He said I could but I would have to walk my bike for several hundred yards as there was no road/path and a narrow wooden bridge to cross. To be continued....

2 comments:

  1. Hey Roly!

    Moved into the new house yesterday and love it! You will have to come over when you get back; which I believe is around August 2nd? Don't forget, if you need a lift back, let me know and I will meet you at the airport.

    Glad to see you are enjoying your time in the UK. My old phone number has changed to Eve's phone number. If you want the numbers, including my cell, send me an email and I will give them to you.

    Have a pint for me and, some of those great English sausages!

    Cheers
    Barrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roly,

    Another quick ocmment.

    Eve says hi, and hurry back as we have more lights for you to put up!!!!

    Cheers
    Eve and Barrie

    ReplyDelete