Saturday, July 4, 2009

South Shields 04 July 09

Sorry it's taken me so long to getting around to updating my blog. I finally reached my final destination, South Shields, on Wednesday after leaving Hartlepool and stopping at Aunty Jean's and Uncle Ron's for lunch on the way.
Since leaving Ipswich on June 24th I cycled to Ely, Cambridgeshire and stayed at a lovely B&B managed by Mrs. A. Coupe. According to her she started the first B&B in Ely 35 years ago. They had a very lovely back garden, big enough to have a game of crocket. After securing my bike in the garage and taking my bags up to my room I sat out on the back patio enjoying a drink of coke and updating my journal. There were vines all up the side of the house as high as the roof. Several times I had to duck as a couple of Collared Doves kept buzzing me. The next day when I came down for breakfast I noticed the security light was hanging down much lower than the day before and that there was a nest with an egg in it that had been exposed. So that's what that ruckus was all about. Ispwich to Ely 108 kms in 5 hrs 52 mins. Weather sunny mid 20's C.
On Thursday, June 25th, I cycled from Ely to Boston. I stoppedin Wisbech for lunch and arrived in Boston at 4:00 PM. Very strong cross-head winds especially from oncoming lorrys which nearly ripped my helmet off on one occasion. After that I kept my head down when an uncoming lorry passed me. When I arrived in Boston at 4:00 PM the streets leading into the centre of town were blocked off and police were re-directing traffic. I explained to a policewoman that I was trying to get to the Tourist Information Centre so I could get information on B&Bs for the night. She said I could walk my bike over the round-about and across the bridge and the TIC was on the right. Once over the bridge there was no traffic and I saw a hotel about a 100 yards ahead so I went in and asked if they had a room for the night. They were fully booked. The manageress explained there had been a couple of bombs go off in the town protesting a military parade or something like that. She took me over to the TIC which was across the street but it was closed. She then told me about another hotel a few blocks away that might have a room for the night. I cycled there and again they were fully booked. They told me to go a little further down the road but I saw a hotel across the street/parking lot so decided to give it a try and was able to get a room at £60 which included b'fast for the night. It was getting late and because of the situation re bombs I decided to take the room for the night. After securing my bike in a back shed and taking my bags up to my room I went down to the bar for a beer. The manager/bartender said she had been called in on an emergency basis and had to come home and change before starting the night shift. I was left all alone in the bar and in the whole darn hotel I think. I must have sat there for about 1.5 hours before she returned. I was hoping no one came in and asked for a room or a drink. What would I do??? Eventually she returned and I ordered dinner. Spent a quiet night with the exception of the occasional emergency vehicle going by with its siren blasting away. Ely to Boston 94.36 kms Time 5 hrs 27 mins Weather sunny/windy mid 20's C.
On Friday, June 26th, I cycled from Boston to Caistor. At 4:00 AM before getting up I heard my mobile (cell phone) ring once. When I got up I checked to see what sort of message I had been sent. It was a message informing me that Michael Jackson had died at age 50 of a heart attack. After b'fast I collected my bike from the back shed, loaded my bags, and set off for Horncastle arriving at 11:00 AM. To early for lunch so I just had a snack and pushed on for Caistor. On the way I passed a chip wagon on the B1225. Pulled in and had a nice cheeseburger and coke before setting off for Caistor again. I suggested to the owner that she should have a picnic table to people could sit down and enjoy there food. She said if she had a table then she would have to provide toilets. Go figure!!! Arrived Caistor at 2:00 PM. No hotels listed in GPS. Cycled to local library to see if I could get info on accommodation. Itwas closed. Went a little further into town and stopped at a local convenience store. There someone was able to direct me to the White Hart pub who might have a room available. Once again I got lucky. They had a room above the pub with the biggest HDTV I had yet to come across in all the hotels I had stayed in. Mind you could still only get 4 TV stations. Met several people in the bar one who had been to Canada on a business trip and had not wanted to come back. I went up to bed at 10:30 PM. The bar was really doing a roaring business but fortunately by 11:30 the noise had all but died off and I was able to get a good night's sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Roly
    Love the part about being left alone in the bar and possibly have to look after a prospective lodger. Too funny! I sure know what only 4 TV stations is like..That is the way it is in Ireland too.
    What an adventure. Do you keep your lips sealed while rding? I hope so..you would get bugs in your teeth. Of course that would save having to stop for lunch. LOL..Enjoy..Enjoy..TTFN
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roly : I am just catching up on your posts over the last 3 weeks (I have been in Alaska & BC since June 12). Glad to see that you have made it to your final destination. Every time we travelled up some monster mountain pass in BC (in our car !)Deb and I would both say : "Wow... Roly would really enjoy this hill !! " ....Keep posting....:>)

    ReplyDelete