Friday, May 29, 2009

Cadillac to Pont du Casse










Cadillac to Pont-du-Casse, Wednesday, May 27, 2009








It's getting late and I'm on the clock at an internet cafe in Cahors so I'll make this short and sweet.
After a quick Continentinal breakfast I checked out of the Hotel D'Etrée and headed for Agen. It was a bit cool when I set off but soon warmed up to around 22 C. I stopped for lunch in Casteljaloux (no connection to Mailloux) at 12:30. I asked the waitress for an iced tea to go with my ham and cheese on a foot long baguet. She said "c'est à la pêche." I thought she meant I had to go fishing for it!!! Once she brought out a bottle and showed me the label I realized she had said "it is flavoured with peaches".
After lunch while trying to find D119 I met a cyclist from Agen. He suggested I take the path along the canal and cycled with me for about 10 minutes to show me how to get on the path. Wow was this ever great. Paved, no bumps, no potholes and very flat. I must have cycled at least 40 kms along the canal. Unfortunately instead of programming Sylvie's address in Pont du Casse in my GPS I relied on directions from a couple other cyclists that I met along the canal on the way to Agen. They told me to keep going 5 bridges past Agen and then I would have to make a left turn for P du C. I ended up going to far and decided to put Sylvie's address in the GPS. It of course calculated the shortest route which was up the side of a cliff and down the other side. It was so steep I had to get off and push my bike up on two occassions for several kms. Coming down was another story the narrow winding back alley roads were in really I mean really bad shape I had to brake all the way down. Eventually I did manage to find Sylvie's place at around 6 PM. I was totally exhausted. Sylvie must have realized this right away as she offered me a nice cold beer which barely touched my lips it went down so fast.
I had a wonderful time staying over with my sister Marie Jeanne's internet friend and do highly recommend their five star B and B.

Bernard, Sylvie's husband, after showing me his classic cars drove me into Agen to show me where to find France Telecom so I could purchase a no contract cellphone which I did later on for 39 Euros. Afterwards we went to visit his friend "Papi Doudou" who has quite a collection of antique and classic French automobiles and a garage to die for.

The trip from Cadillac to Agen to Pont du Casse took almost 7 hours and was a total of 123 kms.
Staying at a F1 hotel in Cahors this evening which is on the outskirts of town. Haven't had dinner yet so will sign off for now.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Roly,
    great adventure, stay safe and have fun.
    Wilf and Liv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roly, so glad you made it to Sylvie's and that your stay there was helpful. I'll look forward to more details from Sylvie when she has time to write. Take care. Love the "a la peche."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roly : I have let the KNBC club know about your blog and you should have a few more 'followers' in short order...I feel more jealous every day. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of the famous Frog and Peach sketch by Peter Cook & Dudley Moore. Owned by Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling, The Frog and Peach restaurant was a catastrophic failure, owing to its location - in the middle of a bog in the heart of the Yorkshire Moors, and its very limited menu - the "nauseating" Frog à la Peche and the "positively revolting" Peche à la Frog. http://www.2wheels.org.uk/ride/sketches.asp

    ReplyDelete