Friday, July 12, 2013

CCCT Part II - Barachois Pond Provincial Park to Corner Brook, NL

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 - Day 27
We were awakened at 4:00 AM by some YAHOOS who had returned from a night out on the town with car stereo blasting, car doors slamming, shouting, etc. Someone told them to pipe down and they soon thankfully passed out. I had set my alarm for 7:00 AM but we both didn't hear it go off. I must have had my arm burried inside my sleeping bag. I woke up at 7:30 AM. We quickly went to the W/C and had a breakfast of an orange, a banana and a Danish pastry. the crew came around at 8:15 AM collecting garbage. I asked if they could drive us and our bikes and our gear up to the highway. They said they would be back at 8:50 AM. We quickly finished packing up and were ready and waiting for their return. We loaded our gear in the back of the pickup truck with the garbage and climbed aboard for the trip up the hill. We were ever so thankful that we didn't have to cycle up that hill. One of the crew had been to Orangeville to visit his daughter who is not far from where Bev's son lives in Belwood. we set off for Corner Brook after loading our bags back on our bikes at 9:20 AM. The morning started off quite cool but sunny and calm. It was a difficult ride with hill after hill and no shade. The scenery was mostly pine forest dotted with "ponds" and rivers and surrounded by hills. There were no Convenience Stores or other facilities along the highway but for one called the "Pinchgut Restaurant" about 18 kms from Corner Brook where we stopped at 1:30 PM to get a cold drink, some Pecan Butter Tarts and to use the W/C. When going down a hill, near the St. Teresa turnoff, Bev saw a black bear run across the highway just after I had passed going around 50 kph. I was disappointed at not seeing the bear but relieved I hadn't come into contact with it!!! We arrived in Corner Brook at 2:00 PM. I set my GPS for Marilyn and Max's address which told us to take the 1st exit #4 to route 450 then to turn right at 4 kms on Wheeler Street. A new road had just been built which my GPS maps were not aware of. I missed the left turn for Wheeler Street and went flying down a long hill. Bev, who was following behind me, saw the street and yelled at me to stop. But by this time I was to far away and didn't hear her probably because of the wind noise rushing past my ears. When I got down to the bottom of the hill my GPS told me to "Make a U-Turn when possible". I stopped and waited for Bev to catch up. She had to come down and get me it was such a long hill. Needless to say she was not very pleased and neither was I that we had to go back up the f...ing hill. It was a long slow hot climb. Once we were back at the top my GPS was still confused about which way to go. We went down Wheeler a short ways and it was indicating we should go back to the 450. We stopped and asked a lady who was out for a smoke for directions. She confirmed we had to go back on the 450 and continue on for about another 4 kms to the "Surplus" store where we should turn right, etc. Wouldn't you know it was another f...ing hill. We had to get off and walk several hundred meters due to heat and exhaustion. The GPS re-calculated and finally gave us the right directions. We arrived at M and Ms at 3:00 PM. Max was home and showed us where to park our bikes around the side of the house. We went inside and met Nicky a King George Spaniel who became very agitated and kept on panting for the rest of the evening. Marilyn arrived home from work at 4:00 PM. While I was talking to Max, Bev brought in our bags. after a most refreshing shower I lay down for a nap until 6:30 PM when it was time for dinner. Max had BBQd delicious steaks which we had with baked potatoes, salad, garlic bread and wine. After dinner I was able to connect to the Wi-Fi once I learned the Network Key by going into Control Panel, etc and clicking on the box "show characters". Bev and Marilyn went out to do some shopping while Max was helping his son with an outdoor "bridge" building project. (I later learned that a "Bridge" is Newfie speak for a porch/stairs from the 2nd story of the house.) I was left alone to keep the hyperventilating Nicky company. I updated my journal and sent an e-mail to Mike and Pearl to let them know that we had arrived safely in Corner Brook. I went off to bed at 11:00 PM and did some reading while waiting for Bev to come to bed at midnight.
Chez Marilyn and Max Dyke, Corner Brook, NL

No comments:

Post a Comment