Tuesday, July 16, 2013

CCCT Part II - Cornerbrook, NL

Thursday-Saturday, July 11, 12, 13, 2013 - Days 28, 29 & 30
Rest Day 1
I was up at 6:45 unable to sleep any longer. Updated my journal and did some reading while waiting for others to get up at 8:00. After breakfast Marilyn took us shopping for groceries at WalMart and Coleman's. Bev also wanted to get a new "spare" tube but we didn't have the size she needed. Bev treated me to a new chain for my Medic Alert tag at WalMart. Marilyn gave us a quick tour of corner Brook. It was very windy and traffic was quite heavy. A bit on the cool side to go walk about so we just rode around in the vehicle. When we got back home we took out the tent and fly sheet and let them flap around in the wind and sun for 10-15 minutes to let them dry out. I posted Day 25 on my blog then lay down for a nap until dinner was ready. Bev prepared a salmon, noodle, mushroom soup casserole. Earlier I had helped Marilyn pick out 2 bottles of wine for the 103 year old lady that she helps look after and a bottle of Italian Merlot for us. I did some reading after dinner and we were off to bed at 11:00.
Rest Day 2
I managed to sleep in until 8:20. I got up and did some reading while waiting for the others to get up. It wasn't long. Marilyn prepared bacon, eggs, toast and juice for breakfast. I sorted through my clean laundry which Bev had done yesterday. Afterwards I went out to the "store" with Max and he helped me find some needle nose pliers so I could replace the chain on my Medic Alert tag. I was able to post Day 26 on my blog. Isn't it wonderful when you have a solid Wi-Fi connection? Mike sent  a reply with photo that Pearl took of Bev and I and our bikes as we were preparing to leave Robinsons. I had another piece of "Jesus" cake. Apparently when Bev used to work at WalMart one of the girls brought in a cake that her mother had baked. Someone had put the cake aside and when Bev came in for her break she asked "Where's the "Jesus" cake?" and so it became known as the "Jesus" cake to this day. I went out with Bev and Marilyn to get a tube for Bev, etc. We went into a Sports Equipment shop and asked for a 27 x 1 3/8 tube. both clerks didn't have a clue what we were looking for. I asked for a 700 mm x 32-35 tube and the male clerk went in the back room and came back with the correct Schraeder tube at $5.99 plus taxes. We also bought some fig biscuits and a T-Shirt for me at the Dollar Store. I had to go looking for Marilyn. She was in the Dollar Store. We went over to Tim's for coffee where Bev put another $40 on her Tim card. It was quite cold inside because of the A/C so we drove back home at 4:00 PM. I was able to post Day 27 on my blog. I lay down for a nap but first of all I wanted to lower the blind as it was a sunny bright day. I couldn't get the blind to lower and neither could Bev or Marilyn. We had to take it down and with the help of Max were able to get the catch to release. Once the blind was back up I was able to get some "rest". Marilyn had to go to work so Bev prepared fried bologna, etc for dinner. We had a couple small cupcakes for dessert and a Bubble chocolate bar and diet coke. Bev had several calls from Brian, her nephew, who came by later. He lived nearby and he was dropping off one of his kids who was visiting a friend nearby. Bev went out to wait for him, Max disappeared and the Nicky, the dog, started to hyperventilate. I tried my best to ignore him. Did some reading and watched the "Tour de France". Marilyn returned home at 11:00. It was off to bed at 11:30 for me.
Rest Day 3
Once again I was up before everyone else at 8:15. I went online and checked my bank account which still had a healthy balance in spite of the large VISA payment due to all our accommodation expenses. Bev and Max were both up at 8:30 and went back to bed. Marilyn got up at 9:00. I had cheerios, a banana, O.J. and toasts with peanut butter and jam and tea for breakfast. I went out to the "store" and patched Bev's tube. Missed the puncture on the first attempt!!! While looking in my trunk bag for my patch kit I discovered that I didn't have a 2nd spare tube as I had thought. I had used up my spare tube in Robinsons and had been cycling without a spare. I called the Sports Shop where we had bought Bev's spare tube yesterday and they confirmed they had a 700 x 28-35 Presta tube for me. We checked Bev's Gmail and FB re news from Amy in Baie Verte where we planned to visit for a couple days. Marilyn prepared hot dogs for lunch with a cinnamon roll  for dessert. We drove to the Sports Shop and got my spare tube. Afterwards we went to WalMart and got a couple snack packs and looked for a better NL map - one that indicated camp grounds. No luck. We walked over to Canadian Tire and found a NL map but camp grounds were not indicated. An elderly gentleman who happened to see us studying the map offered to mark in the camp grounds for us!!! We then walked over to the PC grocery store and got some bananas and grapefruit. Once again I had to go look for Marilyn who was driving around looking for us. She thought we were still at the Canadian Tire. We drove back home at 2:00. Bev called Brian to coordinate a visit. He was at Canadian Tire picking up some supplies. We discussed leaving on Monday instead of Sunday so that Bev could have a proper visit with Brian and family. I agreed and went to lay down for a nap at 2:30. Brian called. Bev came in and asked if I wanted to go for a visit. I chose to continue napping so she went over on her own. I broke my new chain while taking it off over my head. I was able to fix it using my tweezers and a pair of pointy scissors. I finished reading "Dark Horse" by Tami Hoag a real thriller about the sleazy side of horse breeding, etc. Marilyn and Max prepared a delicious dinner of meat loaf, mashed potatoes, carrots, peas and corn. I opened the bottle of Merlot but no one else was drinking wine. Bev preferred to have a beer. Watched TV after dinner while Bev and Marilyn went out to Tims for coffee and tea. Since Bev had been able to visit with Brian plans had changed and we were now leaving Sunday morning. I was off to bed at 10:30.
Chez Amy and Mark Ivany, Wild Cove, Baie Verte, NL

No comments:

Post a Comment