Monday, July 22, 2013

CCCT Part II - Appleton to Gander, NL

Sunday, July 21, 2013 - Day 38
I got up at 1:30 AM and put ear plugs in but still couldn't get to sleep because of the noisy celebration going on across the river. Something to do with Salmon Fest. Dan was up at 7:30 AM and gave us a shout that coffee was ready. We got up at 8:00 AM. I had a decaf coffee that Millie prepared for me besides blueberry pancakes for breakfast. Derek and Dan were still telling stories out on the deck. Eventually Dan and Donnie left to go fly fishing. This time they were going to use the boat to go to a more sheltered spot and hopefully have better luck. We packed up our gear, loaded up our bikes, said our goodbyes, thanked Millie for her hospitality and left for Gander at 10:00 AM. Derek, who was also all packed up and ready to leave, joined us. He needed to stop in Gander to get a broken spoke replaced in his rear wheel. We cycled to Marilyn's place and Derek went on to Sport Check where he hoped to get his bike repairs done. There was no one home but Bev had a key so we were able to let ourselves in. She got the key for the shed and we put our bikes inside after removing our bags which had our clothing in them. We had some fig bars and "one bite" Brownies while waiting for Marilyn and her daughter, Karla, to return from shopping. They were not surprised to see us when they returned at 1:30 PM. We chatted for awhile then I went up and had a nap at 3:30 PM. When I got up at 5:00 PM Bev and I walked to the nearby WalMart and got a clothesline clamp, etc. When we got back Bev noticed there was a hole in the bottom of the plastic bag and that the clamp was missing. After calling WalMart and confirming that the clamp was still on the check out counter she returned to pick it up. In the meantime Karla had prepared rice and green pepper, onion, and mushroom steak for dinner. We had carrot cream cheese muffins and tea afterwards. Bev went over to the neighbours across the street to borrow a ladder so we could put up a new clothes line to replace the old one that had snapped. Two fellas came over with a ladder and fixed the line. It only took them about 15 minutes. I cleaned up the old line. They asked me if  I knew anything about fixing motorcycles as they were having problems with theirs. I suggested they check the carburetor, the gas line, the electrical ground, etc since I had had similar problems with my 1965 Triumph Spitfire. We watched TV news and I updated my journal. Setup the Notebook and connected to Wi-Fi once I got the Network Key from Karla. Checked e-mail/FB and soon it was time to go off to bed at 10:00 PM.
Chez Marilyn and Karla Turner, Gander, NL

No comments:

Post a Comment