Monday, June 25, 2012

CCCT 2012 - June 15/12 - Day 27

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Friday, June 15, 2012 - Day 27
Pincher Creek to Fort Macleod, AB. Trip 54.37 kms Time 3 hrs 43 mins Max 35.8 kph
Leaving the Rockies behind and heading for Fort Macleod


Waiting for my TV Dinner to heat up!!!
After having been up a couple times during the night I finally got up at 7:10 AM. Bev was still asleep. I needed to pay my gardener for looking after my garden for the month of May. I logged on to the Internet and opened up my RBC account. It was a bit of a learning experience but after about a half an hour of trial and error I think I was finally able to transfer the funds to her. Meanwhile Bev had gotten up and was busy preparing oatmeal, hot chocolate, banana and Greek yogurt for breakfast.
We finished packing and loaded our gear on our bikes and set off for FORT MACLEOD at 9:15 AM. We took Hwy 6 to Hwy 3 and cycled for about 18 kms with a tail wind then the wind shifted to a strong crosswind. Bev almost got blown over a couple of times. We managed to get as far as BROCKET where there was a gas station/convenience store that had seen better days. There was no indoor toilet so Bev had to make use of the "Go-Hut" at the side of the building. I went in to see about getting us a hot chocolate. The lady behind the counter who was busy talking on her cellphone shouted to the guy catching a few Zzzzs in the over stuffed chair "Hey Doyle!!!" He woke up with a start and I asked him for hot chocolate. He said there was coffee in the back and went back to his interrupted siesta. Since neither of us drank coffee we gave it a miss and continued on to Fort Macleod. The wind shifted again and now we were pushing into a strong gusting head wind. At least it wasn't raining.
We arrived in Fort Macleod, after stopping at 12:00 PM for a snack of a hard boiled egg, 1/2 an orange and 1/2 a granola bar, at 1:30 PM. There was a Subway and an A&W at the edge of town. We chose to have a late lunch at the A&W. The frosty mugs of root beer really quenched our thirsts.
We looked for a Visitor's Center but had no luck. We went over to Main St and spotted 4-5 motels. We chose the DJ Motel at $60 per night. After unloading our gear Bev walked over to a nearby grocery store and came back with dinner (Hungry Man Turkey TV dinners). Meanwhile I had checked out the Wi-Fi and gotten into my PJs. I had a nap from 3:30 to 5:00 before getting up at 5:30 to work on my blog until dinner time. We were able to watch the US Open and Jays ballgame. We warmed up our TV dinners using the microwave provided by the motel. Very filling. We were both quite tired so it was off to bed at 10:00 PM
Bev and Roly

No comments:

Post a Comment