Tuesday, June 5, 2012

CCCT 2012 - May 28th

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Monday, May 28th
Keremeos to Osoyoos 49 kms Time 3 hrs 12 mins Max 61.5 kph
We were up early at 6:00 AM hoping for an early departure. Bev made French Toast with Raisin Bread. Hmm!! Hmm!! very tasty. I put margarine and peach jam on mine. Also made myself a peanut butter & jam (PBJ) on Raisin Bread and buttered two slices for Bev for lunch later on. Before loading my bike I flipped it over and tried to adjust the wheels to try and stop the disc brakes from rubbing. No luck.
Just as we were about to leave a local truck driver came by and warned us about the hills and told us KEREMEOS was an Indian word for "Meeting of the four winds" which were very strong during the night.
We set off for Osoyoos at 7:50 AM. Bev had another fall going up the first hill out of town. Her foot got caught in the pedal clips. She scraped her almost healed knee from her previous fall and her left elbow. We stopped at the top of the hill and she put a fresh bandage on her knee.
We had to make frequent stops because of 9 very long and steep hills. I kept checking my watch altimeter and at hill #8 it read 685m. We arrived in Osoyoos at 12:30. There were no facilities to speak of just a lot of beautiful scenery.
When we arrived at the Visitor's Centre in Osoyoos we met a young guy waiting for the Greyhound bus to Saskatoon. Bev went in and asked about lodging while I watched our bikes. The VC recommended a motel at $78/night while "Buddy" said the Boundary Motel was cheaper. Bev walked over to a nearby garage and got cold drinks and a cinnamon roll to go with our lunch. We moved over to a bench in the shade to eat our lunch. It was a bit noisy because of a landscaping crew moving loads of stones and rocks.
Snowy peaks, a river and vineyards
We cycled to the Boundary Motel which was a couple blocks further up the road. A room with kitchenette was $69, I talked him down to $60. We unloaded our bikes and put them and our gear in the large room. Bev walked to a nearby shop for groceries while I checked out the wi-fi. Excellent. Lay down for a short nap while waiting for Bev to return from shopping. I wanted to do some laundry in the kitchen sink but Bev was against it. We decided to wait until tomorrow. Bev started preparing sauce for pasta. I helped peel and chop the onion, etc. Filled in my journal. My left shoulder is still a bit sore. Watched some TV. Fi xed Bev's handlebar horn which had gotten bent out of shape from her fall. Checked my rear brakes again. Noticed my rear tire was cut up pretty bad from all the sharp stones at the side of the road on the paved shoulder. I put my spare tire on. After pumping it up to 100 psi noticed it had a cut in the side. Had to use some duct tape to make the repair. Very tired. Off to bed at 11:00 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment