Saturday, June 16, 2012

CCCT 2012 - June 5, 2012 - Day 17

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Tuesday, June 5, 2012
Rest Day
Several Trains passed during the night starting at midnight and hourly after that. Two crossings so horn blarring at each. Reminded me of the trailer park in Jensen Beach, FL, where Barrie and I stayed for several days a few winters ago. My alarm went off at 6:00 AM. It was pissing down rain which it had been doing all night. Bev moaned something about having a day off. I quickly agreed not being one that enjoys cycling in the rain. We slept in until 9:30 AM!!! It was still raining, very windy and quite cold. We had our usual oatmeal, banana and hot chocolate for breakfast. I worked on my blog while Bev watched TV. Sam, the motel manager, came by to see if we were OK and asked if we needed fresh towels. I told her there was a leak in the bathroom and there was some water on the floor. She said the shower sometimes leaked but I'm pretty sure it was coming from the toilet tank. She came back a few minutes later with a stack of fresh towels. The rain let up a bit so we decided to go out for a walk to the nearby grocery store. While paying for our groceries I remarked I could feel quite a draft coming through the doors. The cashier said they'd had a break in last night. The thieves were after the money in the ATM in spite of the ATM door being wide open to indicate there was no money in it!!! Alarms and dogs scared them off. We returned to our motel room and had sandwiches and date squares, diet coke and tea for lunch. Lay down for a nap at 1:40 PM. Sam came by again and knocked on the door and asked about paying for the extra day. I was still dressed so went to the office to pay. She took $10 off as she didn't have to come in and clean our room. I went back for my nap. Got up at 5:00 PM. Still raining. I worked on blog Day 10. I walked to gas station for some beers. Bev used microwave to warm up some Chinese food for me and a Hungry Man Turkey Dinner for herself. We watched TV. Local time appeared to be one hour ahead so I checked out time changes. I found out that Yahk is on Mountain Time i.e. 1 hour ahead. Set both our watches ahead 1 hour. We packed up our panniers for an early morning departure. Bev made ham and cheese sandwiches for tomorrows lunch. There wasn't a hell of a lot to do or see in Yahk especially when it's raining.
Bev and Roly

No comments:

Post a Comment