Monday, June 25, 2012

CCCT 2012 - June 16/12 - Day 28

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Saturday, June 16, 2012 - Day 28
Fort Macleod to Lethbridge, AB, Trip 60.17 kms Time 3 hrs 7 mins Max 68 kph
I was up several times during the night because of leg cramps. Note to self: drink more water before going to bed. We were up at 7:00 AM and after a quick breakfast of Greek yogurt, oatmeal with nuts and raisins, 1/2  banana and hot chocolate we loaded our gear on our bikes and set off for LETHBRIDGE at 9:10 AM. We enjoyed a fantastic tail wind, a superb and very wide paved shoulder, etc for 40 + kms. I topped out at 68 kph on one of the downhills!!! The Alberta highways are very well maintained and free of any debris and/or road kill. The only complaint is the lack of facilities. At one point Bev had to go behind a parked semi trailer to relieve herself. I suppose if you are driving in a car this is not a problem but when cycling even a clump of trees would be helpful.
We arrived at the Visitor's Centre in Lethbridge at 11:30 AM and were able to get information on the route to Medicine Hat, motels in Lethbridge and where to find the nearest bicycle shop. My hands were quite sore so I convinced Bev that we should stop for the day and go to the bike shop and get our bikes sorted out. We ate our ham and cheese sandwiches and cinnamon rolls on the VC deck. It was quite windy and felt like it was shaking just a little to much so rather than linger we set off for Bert and Mac's Bike Shop at 12:00 PM. They agreed to replace my rear wheel broken spoke and Bev's worn brakes and clean both our drive trains (i.e. chain, rear derailleur, etc). But first we wanted to find a motel for the night and get rid of our gear. Some of the Alberta drivers are so polite that a lady unexpectedly stopped at an intersection to let us cross even though she had the right of way. I wasn't sure what her intentions were and while trying to balance on my bike I managed to topple over onto my right shoulder - the one that was almost healed!!! Let's just say that I was not amused even though she pulled over around the corner to make sure I was OK. We cycled to a  nearby Travel Lodge Motel and paid $96.++ which included the taxes, wi-fi and  a free continental breakfast. This was the "Senior's Rate". We unloaded our bikes and cycled back several blocks to the bike shop. This time we had to cycle into the wind. When you have a tailwind you don't appreciate how strong it is until you have to turn around and cycle into it. Thank goodness it was only for a few blocks.
We left our bikes for the necessary repairs/maintenance at 1:30 PM and walked over to a nearby mall. We were hoping to find an ice cream shop but found only a "food court". We had to settle for Orange Julius Smoothies. We sat near a Chinese food stall. The aromas coming from it were driving me crazy. I convinced Bev that we should get a Chinese takeout for dinner. We could re-heat it once we got back to the motel room using the microwave. She agreed. We walked back to the bike shop stopping in at a Dollar Giant store so Bev could get some new bungee cords as hers were beginning to fray. I got a birthday card for Stephanie. We went into the bike shop and could see that my bike was still on a bike stand so sat down on a nearby bench to wait for the bike mechanic to finish working on it. A short while later my cell phone rang. It was Arlyn, the mechanic who had worked on our bikes, calling to say our bikes were ready. Bev paid $41.99 for the repairs to both our bikes (I provided my own spoke) and Bev only needed her front brakes replaced. We cycled back to the motel. I put some ICY/HOT cream on my left shoulder and knee, checked my e-mail and FB and lay down for a nap at 4:00 PM. I got up at 5:00 and watched the US Open while working on my blog. Bev warmed up our Chinese takeout dinners in the microwave. I managed to get days 17 and 18 completed before going off to bed at 10:30 PM.
Bev and Roly

No comments:

Post a Comment