Wednesday, June 13, 2012

CCCT 2012 - June 3, 2012 - Day 15

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Sunday, June 3, 2012
Balfour Beach Inn Motel (our room bottom right)
Day 15 - Balfour to Creston, BC. Trip 88.19 kms Time 5 hrs 57 mins Max 56.8 kph
Early morning view of Kootenay Bay
We were up at 6:00 AM and after a quick breakfast of instant oatmeal, Greek yogurt and Hot Chocolate we checked out at 7:30 AM. We cycled to the nearby ferry terminal and went into the bakery. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I remarked to Bev that if I lived nearby I'd be dead in a week. We got some date squares and a sausage roll for me. We went outside and met Pascal who had just arrived and was also waiting for the ferry. He was still camping and had taken a "rest day" hence the reason we had caught up to him. I took a photo of him. He took a photo of us and our bikes.
There was no charge for the 35 minute ferry crossing. Once we arrived in Kootenay Bay we faced a 3 km climb. We had to get off our bikes several times and do some walking while pushing our bikes up the steep uphill. The sun came out making our climb even more difficult. The entire 85 km ride to CRESTON was one hill after another. The first "Rest Area" was at 54 kms. Bev had to go in the woods to relieve herself. About 5 kms and several hills later I cycled right past the "Rest Area". I got shit for not stopping as Bev informed me she needed to go again!!! I guess I still have a lot to learn???
About 10 kms from Creston we came upon a roadside ice cream shack. I decided I needed to treat Bev to make up for my "faut pas". We both needed a break and the ice cream was delicious.
Scenery on the way to Creston
We arrived in Creston at 4:30 PM and checked in to the Hacienda Motel. I emptied one of my large rear panniers and stuffed all of our laundry in it and took Bev's sleeping bag out to let it "breathe" while she had gone over to the shopping centre to get some groceries.
We cycled into town to a laundromat and did a load of laundry. I went over to the nearby Broaster and got a cheese burger for Bev and some fried chicken for myself. I was quite thirsty and had a Brisk while waiting and a diet Pepsi to go. After folding our laundry we cycled back to the motel. Had our showers and went over to the motel bar for a beer and food. Bev was still hungry. I ordered a Pad-Thai and Bev had a noodle and veggie dish recommended by the waiter. It was very good.
It had been quite a long and difficult day. We were both exhausted and were soon off to bed at 10:00 PM
Pascal on his way to Montreal
Bev and Roly

No comments:

Post a Comment