Tuesday, August 21, 2012

CCCT 2012 - August 1/12 - Day 74

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Wednesday, August 1, 2012 - Day 74
Deep River to Golden Lake, ON  Trip 98.10 kms Time 5 hrs 18 mins Avg 18.48 kph Max 48 kph
We got up at 6:00 AM. I had a good sleep until 2:30 AM when I was awakened by Bev's coughing and her getting up to go to w/c. My left shoulder was also quite sore afterwards. I must have been lying on it. We did some packing before having yogurt, a Danish pastry and a small chocolate milk for breakfast. We loaded our gear on our bikes and left for GOLDEN RIVER at 7:30 AM. We had to stop near Petawawa to put our rain covers on at 8:30 and also had a snack. Next, we stopped at a convenience store for hot chocolate and a muffin. Thank goodness the rain let up. We cycled to Lake Doré Road where we saw a sign for Golden Lake. Bev asked a couple guys in a pickup truck if we could take it to get to Golden Lake.  They said we could so we set off again. It was flat for the first 5 or 6 kms then it became quite hilly. We stopped to have a look at our maps and checked the GPS. There was a connecting side road which we thought would be less hilly. Since it was now 12:15 PM we decided to have our lunch before going on. It was quite hot and there was no shade available. We then arrived at the side road intersection and once again asked for directions. We were assured we could get back to the main road (hwy #60) that would get us to Golden Lake. So off we went again. The side road also turned out to be a roller coaster ride. Oh well, we were not in a great hurry and it was a nice day so we decided to push on and enjoy the ride as much as possible. Eventually we arrived at #60 highway but were not sure which way to turn. Bev asked a guy in a Hydro truck for directions and he pointed us in the right direction. We arrived at Golden lake at 2:15 PM and went directly into a restaurant for some ice cream then across the street to a convenience store for some chips and pop before continuing on to Debbie's (Bev's friend) trailer in the Algonquin Indian Reservation where we arrived at 3:00 PM. We sat out on the deck and chatted. I had a beer while Bev had some tea. Bev went off to help Debbie prepare a salad and spaghetti for dinner with white bread and salty butter and white wine. I helped myself to a 2nd beer while waiting. There was no wi-fi or internet available. We went for a short walk after dinner to see Debbie's "new" pontoon boat. It got banged up pretty bad in a recent storm that also knocked down a large "Widow Maker" tree which luckily fell away from her trailer, etc. Once we returned to the trailer we sat out on the deck and had tea and ice cream until the mosquitoes got so bad we had to move inside. Watched TV for a while then unloaded our panniers and put our bikes in a shed. We inflated our Memory Foam Mattresses and slept on the floor in the bunkhouse. It was very comfortable and much better than sleeping in our cramped tent.
Bev and Roly
Metal Pinwheels at Algonquin Indian Reservation
Golden Lake at Algonquin Indian Reservation

No comments:

Post a Comment