Tuesday, August 14, 2012

CCCT 2012 - July 28/12 - Day 70

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Saturday, July 28, 2012 - Day 70
Sudbury to Sturgeon Falls, ON - Trip 85.47 kms Time 4 hrs 42 mins Avg 18.15 kph Max 45 kph
Had a good night's sleep in spite of sore left shoulder. I dreamt about my rear van wiper being stolen while I was in it. I woke Bev up when I shouted "F**king punks!" just before my alarm went off at 6:00 AM. We got up and did some packing before going over to the restaurant for breakfast. I returned the Internet cable to the front desk and ordered eggs, toast, home fries, sausages and tea while Bev had blueberry pancakes and tea. The syrup was OK but the tea went cold to fast! While having our breakfast we watched cycling at the Olympics in England. We returned to our room, finished packing, loaded our gear on our bikes and set off for STURGEON FALLS at 7:40 AM. We stopped at a gas station for some Gatorade and at a Mennonite Restaurant near Walden for lunch. We had Whistle Dogs (hot dog with bacon and cheese) and Dutch Apple pie with ice cream for me and Coconut Cream pie for Bev. We met 2 young cyclists who were cycling from Vancouver to StJohn's, NL, in a hurry. They stopped at the restaurant to have lunch with friends who were already inside waiting for them. We arrived in Sturgeon Falls at 1:45 PM and saw a sign for a KOA where we decided to camp for 2 days. It was 3 kms from the main highway on a paved road. We paid $33 + $3 for an electrical hookup. Before setting up our tent we had an ice cream then sorted out our laundry, put it all in one large pannier and went off  to the laundromat hut to do a load of laundry. The KOA manager came by to thank us for allowing her to turn at the highway which allowed her to arrive in time for a pontoon boat tour that she was organizing. She asked if there was anything we needed. I jokingly asked for a cold beer. She was so impressed that we had cycled all the way from Nanaimo that she went and got us 2 cold frosty beverages which turned out to be Bev's favourite i.e. Coors Light. We couldn't thank her enough. We checked out the park wi-fi which turned out to work very well right from where we had set up our tent - much better than at the KOA in Thunder Bay. We prepared KD with Maple Syrup flavoured beans for our dinner. The staff had organized a screen and sound equipment about 200 metres from our tent in order to show a movie. I think it was "The Three Musketeers" which was supposed to start at 9:00 PM. It was well after 10:00 PM before they finally started the movie. By that time we had gotten tired of waiting for the movie to start. We were ready for bed and inside our tent in order not to be eaten alive by mosquitoes. We could just make out the screen from our tent "screen window" in spite of all the mosquitoes trying to get inside our tent to feast on us. Eventually, since no one showed up, they shut down the movie and we all had a good night's rest.
Bev and Roly
Posted at home in Ottawa on Tuesday, August 14th, 2012. We had to abandon our cycling adventure due to Roly's shoulder injury. More about this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment