Sunday, August 5, 2012

CCCT 2012 - July 18/12 - Day 60

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Wednesday, July 18, 2012 - Day 60
Nipigon to Schreiber, ON - Trip 97.89 kms Time 6 hrs 42 mins Avg 14.59 kph Max 49.8 kph
Bev got up at 1:00 AM to pee. It was quite a walk to the washrooms so she just went outside in the nearby woods. After she came back to "bed" I heard a snuffling sound which I thought was coming from outside our tent. Later, Bev explained that it was only her brushing off her mattress!!! Nevertheless, my heart was racing for some time until the "snuffling" went away. We got up at 5:30 AM. It was quite cold. I put on my light jacket before going to the w/c where I changed into my cycling gear. I put my arm and leg warmers on along with my cycling shorts and jersey. We packed up our gear and cycled to the Husky gas station/restaurant for breakfast at 7:15 AM. I had eggs, bacon, home fries and toast. Bev had a muffin, ham, eggs and cheese with home fries. we both had hot chocolate. We picked up a smoked meat sandwich and ham, cheese, crackers and Gatorade from the store before leaving for SCHREIBER at 8:00 AM.
It was a sunny but cool day except for the long tough climbs which really caused us to work up a sweat. We had to stop many times especially during and after the hill climbs. After passing through a construction zone we saw a tanker truck coming around a curve in the opposite direction. He had ignored the "construction zone" warning signs and had to stomp on his brakes to slow down in order to avoid crashing into the cars waiting to go through. His tires were smoking!!! We could smell the rubber burning. He just managed to stop in time. Bev and I were holding our breaths just waiting for a major catastrophe to happen.
We arrived at the Rongie Motel in Schreiber at 4:00 PM. I convinced Bev that we should stay in a motel instead of camping as I needed a good night's rest after last nights lack of sleep. We put our bikes and gear in our room and went back down to the Hungry Moose Restaurant for a beer. The waitress said they weren't licensed but that she would bring us a "ginger ale" which turned out to be a cold refreshing beverage i.e. beer. When we left our room I automatically locked it. We hadn't yet formally registered and therefore had not yet received a room key. When we returned to our room the waitress, Tonya, had to come with us to unlock our door with the motel master key. It was a very relaxed motel and we were allowed to run a tab. Bev had trouble getting the TV to work. I managed to sort it out and also got on the Internet with a good wi-fi connection. We went back down to the restaurant for dinner and were again offered a "ginger ale". Bev had ribs, a baked stuffed potato and corn-on-the-cob. I had a burger with mushrooms and mozza and corn-on-the-cob. The corn was not very sweet or fresh tasting. After dinner we met the owner, also a real estate agent, who asked a lot of questions, some rather personal i.e. "Are you married?" etc. He had just concluded a real estate deal for some people who were buying property nearby and were planning to move from the Ottawa area. We returned to our room. I worked on my blog while Bev watched TV. She soon fell asleep at 9:30 as she was very tired. I soon joined her at 10:00.
Bev and Roly

No comments:

Post a Comment