Sunday, August 5, 2012

CCCT 2012 - July 19/12 - Day 61

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Thursday, July 19, 2012 - Day 61
Schreiber to Marathon, ON - Trip 110.61 Time 7 hrs 17 mins Avg 15.16 kph Max 6.8 kph
After a fairly quiet night's sleep we were up at 6:00 AM, packed and ready to leave at 7:00 AM. We cycled 3 kms into town to an Esso gas station/restaurant/convenience store. We both had hot chocolate and French Toast (mine with strawberries and whipped cream) for breakfast. We got some Gatorade and bottled water, etc. After filling our bottles we left for MARATHON at 8:00 AM. It was still a bit cool. We had a nicely paved shoulder to cycle on. We had to stop after the 1st hill to remove our jackets put our sleeves and vest on which we removed after the 2nd hill. It was still a bit chilly going downhill but quite hot going uphill. We stopped several times for snacks and once at a store for cold drinks and a pit stop. We arrived at the Penn Lake Park and Campground in Marathon at 4:00 PM. On arrival Bev thought I was turning left when in fact I was going straight on. We collided and toppled over. But, fortunately, since we were going slow no one was hurt just my front fender mud guard. We went around the campground looking for the "OFFICE". We saw a young girl riding on a golf cart and followed her to the OFFICE near the DUMPSITE/SHOWERS/LAUNDROMAT. I paid the Senior's rate of $30.++ for a site with electrical hookup. After putting up our tent at site #31 I noticed there was no electrical outlet. We went back to the office and got a reduced rate of $25.++. The campground attendant agreed to let me charge my GPS in the office overnight. She assured me she would be into work at 6:45 AM before our planned 7:00 AM departure. We cycled into town to a grocery store. It had the most pathetic selection of fruit that I've ever seen in a grocery store. We then went over to a nearby motel restaurant for beer and dinner. We cycled back to our campsite, gathered our laundry and went for a shower. We did one big load of laundry. I was able to connect to the Internet using wi-fi and sat at a nearby picnic table while waiting for the laundry to finish. I was feeling a bit chilly so returned to the tent to get a jacket. I found a bag of garbage ripped open and spread about. The squirrels were nearby munching on a stale muffin that we had thrown out earlier. Bev returned with our laundry. I sorted through mine while she went off to brush her teeth and vice versa. We were soon off to bed at 10:00 PM.
Bev and Roly

No comments:

Post a Comment