Wednesday, June 3, 2009

30 May Cahors to Villefranche-de-Rouergue

Well here goes again. I stopped early this afternoon at this same cyber cafe and had completed 2 days blog but had only booked for an hour. Before I could post what I had typed and before they could add more time I was cut-off and lost everything. I had to go find a hotel for the night and get something to eat.
In my last posting I forgot to mention that I asked a young chap in the Cahors cyber cafe how to make a ê using a french keyboard. He had no idea. I asked him if he knew the DOS way of doing it. He looked at me like I was from a different galaxie and said "C'est quoi le DOS?" Through trial and error I was able to figure out that holding dozn the Alt key and pressing 136 on the numerice keypad gives a ê.
Leaving Cahors I got off to a bad start. I programmed my GPS for Limogne-en-Quercy which was the next village indicated on my map in the direction of Rodez. Leaving the hotel I saw a sign for Rodez so decided to follow that direction. The GPS kept telling me to make a u-turn. Like an idiot I chose to ignore it and continued for about 1.5 kms. Turned out this direction was a major hwy so I turned back and followed the GPS dirs.
The route the GPS chose was very narrow and hilly. It was a real struggle to get up some of the hills. I had to stop quite a few times and walk the going was so difficult.
Eventually I reached the route along the River Lot and it was much better.
I stopped at L en Q and went into the local general store for some food and something to drink. Went out and sat in the town square and had a lovely picnic in the shade. An old gentleman came over and started chatting about my bike and my journey. Very friendly and I could see that if his wife hadn't been keeping an eye on him he would have loved to join me. By the time I got to Villefranche-de-Rouergue I was pretty well shattered so decided to find a hotel for the night. It was 3 PM. The first hotel I came upon, Hotel de la Poste, was full. A little further down the main street I was able to get a room at Hotel l'Univers. The room was on the 2nd floor and not to cheap but at least it had a decent shower and a mini-bar fridge and was situated alongside the River Lot. After putting my bike away in the storage area I hauled my bags up the rather steep flights of stairs.
When I asked the barmaid about internet access she didn't know of any cyber cafes in town. She said she would ask the manageress if I could use her personal laptop but she had gone out for the evening. I went across the street to a different bar/restaurant and they told me there was a cyber cafe at the Place de la Poste next to hotel that I had first stopped at.
After dinner I went for a walk and eventually found a small snack bar next to the hotel de la poste but the cyber cafe ops had been shut down most likely due to lack of business. I walked back to the hotel. had a nite cap, and went off to bed for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment