Wednesday, June 3, 2009

June 1 Montsalvy to Polminhac

I was up during the night several times because of leg cramps. Two days of climbing had really been hard on my legs. Nothing to severe but still had to get out of bed to shake off the cramps.
I went down to the main part of the apartment complex that M. Fau lived in. It was a veritable museum with several tables spread around all covered with all sorts of papers and odds and ends. M. Fau made cafe au lait, bread (he apologized that it was a day old but it was a holiday and the boulangerie was closed), orange juice, butter, jam, honey and an orange. Euros 3.50. Again M. Fau helped me carry my bags down, wished me "bonne route"and off I went this time hoping to get to Polminhac.
Arrived in Aurillac at 11:10 after a quite pleasant ride. Found an Information Office and was able to get a more detailed map of the "Cantal" area. I looked for a book on Cycling in France but no luck. Had some difficulty finding my way out of town. I wanted to take the N122 but ended up having to take the D117 in order to get to the N122. It was a bit of a climb and a bit circuitous but eventually I hooked up with the N122. The ride to Polminhac was not so difficult but nevertheless, because of the previous night's leg cramping I decided to take it easy and make it a short ride. I found a Hotel/Bar/Restaurant called Les Parasols and decided to stay for the night. Because I had arrived quite early I was able to do some laundry. Washed a couple of my cycling jerseys, pants and socks in the sink and hung them out on the balcony railing to dry. I went down to the bar for a beer and asked if I could use the internet to update my blog. Of course, not a problem, there was a computer in a corner of the dinning room that I could use. I was able to do a days blog and probably could have kept on but didn't want to abuse the hotel manager's generosity. It was a most pleasant hotel and very quiet. I was the only customer for dinner and again for breakfast although I had seen several other guests on arrival they obviously did not care to eat in the hotel or were not hungry.
As I was leaving the following morning I asked the hotel manager/chef for his name. He said it was Raymond Fau same surname as M. Fau who had lodged me the previous evening. They were somehow related but not close relatives. Raymond was very fascinated by my Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10 Touring bike with disc brakes, etc. He was especially intrigued by the GPS. We exchanged business cards and he asked me to keep in touch and let him know how my trip trough France was progressing. He also wished me "bon courage et bonne route" and so off I went down the road heading for Aurilac ....
TRP 54.76 AVS 15.60 STP 3:30:38

1 comment:

  1. Roly,
    leg cramps.. try taking Calcium with Magnesium pill or drink lots of milk, eat cheese , yoghurt.
    Often leg cramps occur by a lack of calcium in the body. For the body to be able to absorb calcium pills you must take them with magnesium. Hope this helps you.
    Liv

    ReplyDelete