Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Calais 17June09

Well I finally made it to Calais. I arrived at 2 PM qnd first stop was at Office du Tourisme where I was able to get information regarding a Cyber Cafe, hotels/B&Bs and a Lavarie (laundrymat). I booked a room for the night at a B&B and went off to find the Cyber Cafe. Of course it was no longer there. After asking a few people in the neighbourhood I found out it had moved a couple blocks away. What a carry on. I decided to spend one more night on French soil and get a fresh start in the morning for Dover. Besides I do need to get some laundry done so that will be my next stop before heading for the hotel and trying to get a good nights rest.
Since my last post in Troyes I have stopped in Soissons, Ham, Bapaume and last night at a Chambres d'Hotes in Auchy-au-Bois. This was a working dairy farm but the house with four rooms to let was like a museum. The lady who runs the B&B likes to go to "brocante" or garage sales and has quite an interesting collection of bric-a-brac.
The cycling from Troyes to Calais has been quite difficult mostly because of hills, some bad weather i.e. head winds and a day of miserable rain. I waited under a petrol station shelter for an hour or so and again in a McDs for 2 hours for the rain to let up.
Not much choice in the way of hotels in the smaller villages. Had to take what I could get.
Well must go and get some laundry done before I get on the ferry/hovercraft for Dover tomorrow. Cheers, Roly

2 comments:

  1. Hi Roly,

    Glad to see you are still on the road and are headed to Jolly Old England. Enjoy!

    I sold my folding bike yesterday for my asking price ;)

    I won't be able to follow your blog after the 24th as I'm headed to Vancouver Island. A friend invited me to join him on his sailboat for 5-weeks. I think we'll be doing short trips from a base in Barkley Sound.

    All the best on the rest of your trip,

    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour Roland,

    So tu quittes la jolie France. I've enjoyed finding the towns on the map. Even found Auchy-au-Bois. I really hope you made some friends and met some interesting people. Has Malcolm been following your blog?

    ReplyDelete