Wednesday, June 3, 2009

May 31 Villefranche-de-Rouergue to Montsalvy

Woke up at 6:30. It was pouring rain!!! Went down for breafast. Had to make my way around several little dogs and a cat which was all over the place. It didn't look like the rain was going to let up so I decided to stay another day - maybe do some laundry. I asked the manageress about internet access and she said Later on at 9:15 she would open up the PC for me which was located downstairs in the bar. I waited patiently for 1/2 an hour and finally she took me downstairs and logged onto her laptop. I was just about to start a new posting when a German fellow from Cologne, who was also cycling across France, came into the bar to return the key to the storage area. He had collected his bike and was setting off for Cahors where I had just come from. I told him I was headed for Rodez. He said Rodez was not such a nice place and I should head for Montsalvy which was a more picturesque ride. He assured me it was not to difficult a ride. Suffice it to say ... he lied!!!
The rain stopped and the sky began to clear up at 9:30. I decided to make a go of it and head out for Montsalvy. By the time I packed my paniers, paid my bill, collected my bike from the storage area and loaded my bags on the bike it was 10:30.
I cycled to Montbazens, Aubin, Decazeville which was very hilly. A lot of rest stops, walking and pushing the bike up the steeper hills until eventually I reached the Lot River Valley. This was great for about 15 kms then I had to start climbing again for Monsalvy. I managed to reach Montsalvy at 7:45 PM much later than I would have liked but because of my late departure and the difficulty of the climb it was unavoidable.
I checked at the only hotel in town to see if they had a room available but they were full. They suggested I try down the road a bit at the local bar. They told me they did not rent rooms but that a M. Fau, who lived across from the Boulangerie, rented rooms. We tried to call him on his landline and on his cell but got no answer. Just as I was getting really desperate along came M. Fau on his tractor. Everyone in the bar started waving and yelling like crazy to get him to stop. He pulled into the parking lot with his tractor and I went over and introduced myself and asked it he had a room for me for the night. I was in luck - he not only had a room for me - he had a complete apartment (gite) which consisted of a fully equipped kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom all state of the art except no internet. Oh well it was getting late and for 14 Euros I couldn' afford to be to choosy. M. Fau helped me with my bags and showed me where to put my bike in the kitchen by the washing machine. When I told him I was from Canada he offered me a beer. He had been to Canada for a visit and had had such a wonderful experience. I said I hadn't yet had dinner and since their was only one restaurant in town and it would be closing shortly I had better go and get something to eat right away. He agreed.
I rushed off to the restaurant and had a wonderful meal of lamb chops. The waitress brought out a lovely Languoile steak knife the same brand of pocket knife that Lee Valley Tools sells.
After dinner I walked back to the bar to thank the barmaid for her help in helping me find a room for the night. Of course I had to have a couple of beers before going off to bed. There were several local town drunks holding up the bar and of course the conversasion eventually came around to my cycling trip across France. They all seemed to have a good laugh at my expense.
Trip 89.89 kms AVS 12.04 STP 7:27:42

No comments:

Post a Comment