Wednesday, June 3, 2009

June 2 Polminhac to Massiac

My previous post should have read "heading for Murat" not Aurillac.
I left Polminhac at 9:00 AM and in spite of a wicked head wind was able to reach the Lioran Tunnel by 11:30. There was a sign with a bicycle on a white background and a red circle around the outer edge. It did not have a red diagonal stroke through it so I assumed it was OK to go through the tunnel with my bike and there was no one to ask. No sooner had I started going through the tunnel the truck drivers started honking at me like crazy. Bloody truck drivers. I kept on going. Eventually there was no more traffic coming through the tunnel!!! On arriving on the other side of the mountain pass "Les Flics" were there to meet me and pulled me over. Because of the danger they had closed down the tunnel. Oh so that's why there were no more idiots blowing their horns at me. I'm not very proud of what I did but on the other hand there really wasn't that much traffic and the tunnel was only shut down for about 10-12 mins. Luckily I was given a warning and a lecture about the meaning of the red circle around a bicycle or a white background sign and allowed to continue on my way. Big sign of relief!!!
Once on the other side of the tunnel the going was much easier. Mostly downhill but still with a very strong head wind which almost blew me off my bike at one point. My feet came right out of my clips!!! I arrived in Massiac at 3:30 PM and started looking for a hotel. A sign at the outskirts of town said there were 2 hotels and 12 restaurants and xxx parking spots. Checked out both hotels one was E 54 the other E 40 which was a little further out of town. Checked into La Colombiere. Very clean very modern. Had to put my bike in the laundry room. Went out for dinner. Could only find 2 restaurants open the very expensive other hotel and a Creperie Le Montel restaurant on a side street which a bartender directed me to. So it was a pleasant walk about looking for a place to eat and a still more pleasant walk back to the hotel. Oh I almost forgot to mention that the "bar" at the hotel consisted of a vending machine that dispensed beer in a can. You insert E 1.50 select 33 and watch the can drop to the bottom of the dispensing machine. You retrieve your beer can from the slot and when you open it guess what happens ... yes right the whole thing fizzes all over the place. Duh!!!
TRP 70.66 AVS 15.02 STP 4:42:07

5 comments:

  1. Hey Rollie - Neat BLOG -- We need photos - pictures,etc....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Closing down tunnels and spilling beer! Yup, that's Roly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Roland,
    Nous sommes rentrés de notre rallye et espérons que ton périple se poursuit comme tu l'avais prévu. Nous te souhaitons de ne pas trop souffrir de la chaleur et de profiter pleinement des beaux paysages de notre vieille France.
    Bonne continuation à toi et bon courage.
    Amitiés de Sylvie et Bernard.
    Hello Roly sending this on behalf of Sylvie et Bernard, Sylvie says she is having difficulty with Google allowing her to post. I don't think I can talk her through it. I tried to find your route on the map and got to Cahors and got lost but will try again now that you've named some other cities. I'm so proud of you and you are doing something I have also dreamed of doing, being also a glutton for punishment.Marie Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, Roly, I can imagine how you felt when you got out the tunnel. At least you learned what the sign meant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Roly,
    Wilf and I are reading your blog with interest. What a wonderful description of your trip.
    Please be safe and careful of those stupid drivers who don't look out for bikes.
    Keep on writing, we'll keep on reading.
    Wilf and Liv

    ReplyDelete