Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 14 - Europe 2011

Scenery along the Rhine

Nuclear power plant where Polizei came out of nowhere to check on me!!!



Day 14 - Tuesday, June 7, 2011 - Erfelden to Schwetzingen - Trip 86.95 kms Time 5:03:34

The church bell kept waking me up every hour on the half-hour but I finally did manage to get some sleep after midnight. There was also more rain during the night. I got up at 7:00 and went downstairs for a shower. The workers had all left earlier. After my shower I went down to the garage to collect my laundry. It was all dry except for the socks which were still a bit damp. I finished packing my panniers and carried them down the very steep, narrow stairs. Herr Maul was waiting for me in the courtyard to collect the 27 Euros for my night's lodging. I went into the garage to fill up my water bottles at the laundry tub. Herr Maul insisted I fill up with bottled water that he got from a nearby fridge. He wasn't such a bad guy afterall. Later on when I went to take a drink from my water bottle it exploded in my face!!! It was fizzy water.
I set off at 8:30 with overcast skies but since I hadn't had b'fast yet I quickly found a backerie and went in to see what I could find for a suitable b'fast. It was the usual assortment of breads and pastries. I picked the healthiest looking pastry I could find and a Capri-Sona to wash it down with. I went out to sit on the front step to eat my b'fast but the manageress came out and told me I should sit on the chair inside the shop.
I eventually set off for Manheim. I managed to get on the cement cycle path along the dike along the Rhine. There was not a lot to see as the dike hid the Rhine from my view. I must have covered over 30 kms from Klein-Rohrheim to Manheim and only encountered 3 male cyclists, one rather buxom jogger and a POLIZEI car that came out of nowhere to check on me as I passed a Nuclear Power Plant!!! I crossed over to Worms hoping to find a Snell-Imbiss for lunch. A couple of workmen pointed me towards a grocery store just 500 M away. I was able to buy some fruit and when I looked for something to eat I once again ended up in the attached bakerei. I was able to get some tea and a pizza Margerita. Yuk!!!
I decided it was best to cross over the bridge again continue on to Bruhl. Somehow I ended up in Schwetzingen!!! But luckily I spotted a nice looking hotel with a huge banner outside advertising rooms at 40 Euros/night. Of course all the 40 E rooms were taken but there was a room available at 55 E which included b'fast and free Wi-Fi. I checked in. I was having difficulty getting on the Internet so went up to the reception to ask for help with registering for a "HOTSPLOTS" account. Davida, the receptionist, was most helpful. She also informed me that the price of the room also included dinner. What a bonus!!! The hotel was very flamboyantly decorated with mirrors all over the place including the ceilings. The lighting was also quite spectacular. The halogen bulb hasn't made it to Germany yet.
I sat down at a table in the dining room to make sure I had the Internet working OK and ordered a beer while I checked my e-mail. The next thing I knew I was being served dinner which consisted of a cold pasta entrée and a snitzel with pommes croquettes. No salad. No dessert. Although when I asked Davida about dessert she brought me a coconut yogurt. Paid for another pils which I took back to my room in the basement and worked on Day 11 & 12 of my blog. More rain during the night.
Cheers, Roly

No comments:

Post a Comment