Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 20 - Europe 2011

Day 20 - Monday, June 13, 2011 - Freiburg to Titisee - Trip 49.94 kms Time 4:03:39

Yesterday I was able to get on the flaky Internet terminal at the Hotel Sonne just long enough to log into my RBC account and check out what was happening. I noticed there were 2 withdrawals of 400 E one on June 2nd and one on June 6th and my balance was down to $48.00. I was able to transfer $1000 into my account from my Line of Credit. Later on I checked all my receipts but couldn't find a receipt for the 2nd withdrawal yet all my hotel and meal expenses justified a 2nd withdrawal. It wasn't until later when I was on my way to Donaueschingen that I remembered stopping for lunch (I even took a photo of the lentil soup with 2 sausages that I had) and going to a bank machine across the street afterwards to get some cash. I didn't get a receipt and thought at the time this is not a good idea. I should have gotten a receipt but there was no one around as it was a local holiday.
I set off for D. at 9:30 and hadn't even gone 3 kms before running into an Umleitung. There was a gas station convenience store nearby so I went in and had hot chocolate, sausage pastry and choco croissant for b'fast. I asked for directions and was told that I could continue straight on to get on the road to D. I ignored the "No Bicycle Signs" and managed to make my way through the road works. Soon it was uphill all the way at 6-12 kph. I must have climbed for about 2 hours. At 885 metres (according to my new watch altimeter) I stopped at a gas station and went in to get something cold to drink and a bite to eat. The road (B11 I think) was very busy. I later found out it was a local holiday.
Just as I was about to leave it started drizzling. I put on my rain gear and covered my panniers. The temperature had dropped quite a bit or maybe it was the higher altitude but whatever I was feeling quite chilly in spite of still climbing and having to push hard. At 30 kms I stopped to check my GPS. It said I still had 27 kms to go to get to D. A few kms later I passed a sign for D. pointing in the opposite direction. It said it was 32 kms to D. I reluctantly trusted the lower distance of my GPS and continued on in the direction it indicated.
I arrived in Titisee at 2:30 quite exhausted. It was clouding over and threatening to rain. I found an hotel with Wi-Fi, b'fast included, for 42 E. Only problem was my room was on the 3rd floor and there was no elevator!!! It's only a matter of time before the hills or the stairs do me in!!!
After getting settled in I went down to the reception to log on to the Internet. The receptionist was very helpful. She set me up at a quiet corner table in the restaurant where I could plug in my NoteBook and showed me how to log on to the Hotel Wi-Fi service and served me a beer. I had a very good connection and was able to to Days 16 & 17 of my blog.
I decided to go out for a walk (the sun had come out again) and check out the town. It was full of tourist due to the local holiday. Lots of hotels, gift shops, restaurants, boats for hire, etc. the usual tourist town stuff. Cuckoo Clocks started at 300+ E. I took a few pictures down by the lake, found an Italian restaurant and went in for dinner. A 1/2 L of Lambrusco (to sweet & fizzy), Knoblauchtoast (garlic toast) and Penne Al Forno cost 20 E. 19% Mwst. included. (I assume this is the service?)
I walked back to the hotel. Most of the tourist had left for the day. It was only 8:00 PM. I was able to to Day 18 of my blog before climbing up the 3 flights of stairs to my room and hitting the sack for the night.
Cheers, Roly

2 comments:

  1. Hi Roly!
    The 19% MwSt. is the german "Value Added Tax". Hoping to see you soon in Vienna, the fridge is already stocked up ;-).

    Cheers, Martin

    ReplyDelete