Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 32 - Europe 2011

The Stein Tor at Krems

Day 32 - Saturday, June 25, 2011 - Grein to Klems - Trip 83.05 Time 4:32:54

In spite of a nice quiet secluded private house I was up during the night/early morning 4 times because of cramps in my lower legs. I got up at 7:00 AM when I heard the Backerei delivery van arrive with fresh bread, etc. I went down for b'fast at 7:30. I was the only guest, just me and the cat who took off as soon as I entered the room. There were the usual cold meats, cheese, dark bread, brotchen, butter, jam and hot chocolate. I made myself a sandwich for lunch before going back up to my room to finish packing after paying 26 E.
Frau Johanna had changed and was waiting at the door for her son to pick her up at 8:30. I came down at 8:20. She was very pleased to see me and had already gotten my bike out of the garage for me. She was going to the Tyroll for her 36 year old nieces funeral. It started spitting so I put my pannier covers on.
I tried to set my GPS for St. Nikola but it couldn't find it. May have been a spelling problem I think. I set off in the general direction and soon found the Radweg Donau signs indicating Emmersdorf. It was a smooth well paved path along the banks of the Danube through such small towns as Struden, Sarmingstein, Hirschenau, Weins, Persenbeug, Hagsdorf, Marbach, Klein-Pochlarn and Emmersdorf. The scenery went from steep forested banks to farmland and finally the famous Wachau vineyards, Austria's best-known wine producing region.
There were no hills to climb today just weather. Wind and rain!!! Thankfully it was mostly a tailwind and the rain storm only lasted 15 or so minutes. I found shelter under a tree like several other cyclists and was able to keep from getting thoroughly soaked. I stopped for lunch at a town square where I could get a cold drink from an outdoor vending machine. As I sat down on a nice long bench in the shade to eat my sandwich several other people decided to join me including a local lady who was having a smoke break while walking home with a 6L pack of bottled water. She commented on my helmet mirror.
After Emmersdorf I went on to Aggsbachmarkt, Spitz, Weissenkirchen, Durnstein, Stein and arrived at Krems at 2:00 PM. I had now done 80+ kms and decided it was time to start looking for an hotel. The 1st Gasthof I tried was full. I think they don't like single guys on bikes. They prefer couples? I checked out the Hotel Unter den Linden next and it was 67 E/night (double room) with b'fast and free Wi-Fi included. I checked in at 2:30 PM. Also it was getting quite hot. My room was on the 2nd floor. I took the elevator up to the 2nd floor but couldn't find room 217! I left my panniers in the hallway and went back down to the reception to get some help. The receptionist took me back to the elevator and showed me I had to get off at the 1st floor then take the stairs up to the 2nd floor to get to room 217. Go figure!!!
After settling in I went down to the reception again with my Notebook, etc. to check out the Internet. I sat in the bar and ordered a beer. I had no problem with Wi-Fi connection. I was able to type up my blog for Day 30 and call Martin in Vienna using Skype without any interuptions.
I went back up to my room. While paying for my beer the recptionist insisted I take a modem so I could use the Internet in my room. I said I was quite happy to use Wi-Fi in the bar but he insisted. I was thinking it would be a 54 baud modem and slower than molasses in January. The modem came in a little black satchel with 3 cables: 1) Internet cable 2) CAT 5 cable 3) power cable and 3-way outlet adapter and it was a state-of-the-art modem. Once I got it plugged in along with my Notebook I had wires going all over my room!!! But it worked extremely well.
I lay down for a nap before going out for dinner. I got directions at the reception to the Steiner Tor and pedestrian mall where I would find restaurants. As I was going through the Tor I passed a Japanese/Chinese/Thai restaurant. The cooking odors were to much for me to passby. Plus the menu prices were very reasonable. I ordered a 1/2 L of Reisling to go with my meal. It wasn't on the menu. 1/8 L or 1/4 L or 750cl but not 1/2 L. I insisted. The waitress brought me a 1/2 L of white wine in a tall beer glass!!! I kid you not. She even showed me the mark on the glass indicating 500 cl. I then had to ask for a wine glass. She managed to produce a Spitzer glass. I ordered Sushi (6 pieces) with chicken Satay in noodles with vegetables in peanut sauce. It was delicious. Thank goodness I spotted the marble size ball of WASABI!!! and didn't eat the whole lot in one mouthful. I had a bit of a discussion about the peanut sauce. I was expecting something like what you get with a Malaysain satay. I'm guessing the peanut sauce was the oil used for stir frying the noodles, etc. In any case I assured the waitress and manager that it was very tasty since I had eaten the whole thing.
I filled in my journal while enjoying my 1/2 L of Reisling. I walked back to the hotel. Had to use my key to get in main entrance of hotel. The reception was closed. No one about! How do they do it? I went up to my room, typed up Day 31 of my blog and was off to bed at 11:00 PM.
Cheers, Roly

How I was served a 1/2 L of wine in an Asian restaurant in Krems, Austria

No comments:

Post a Comment