Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 29 - Europe 2011

A view of Passau from the Schanzlbrucke (I think).





Day 29 - Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - Deggendorf to Obernzell - Trip 74.83 Time 4:18:47

I had a good nights sleep for a change. No church bells. No street noise, well, not until 4:30 AM! I got up at 7:00 and went down for b'fast at 7:30 after doing some first aid on my sore blistered toes. Made myself a ham and cheese brotchen for later plus a large orange. I took my panniers down to the lobby in the elevator then continued on down to the garage to fetch my bike. Several other cyclists were already busy putting their panniers on their bikes. I didn't recognize the language they were speaking. It could have been Scandinavian or Czech? I took my bike up to the lobby in the elevator which was far easier than loading panniers on in the basement garage and then having to push a heavy bike up the steep garage ramp. I paid 45E for room. Put panniers on my bike and set off for Deggenau, Niederalteich, Winzer, Mitterndorf, Hofkirchen, Windorf, Gaishofen, Maierhof, Passau, Lindau, Erlau and Obernzell.
The route, which was paved, followed the Danube up to just before Winzer where I was able to take a short cut. I stopped at 10:30 for a break at a park bench in the shade by a cross. They are all along the route. An elderly German couple joined me. We were able to have a nice chat in German about our cycling and children, etc. They warned me about a bad stretch up ahead. I should have got off the cycle path and gone on the road but I missed my chance. I soon found out that they weren't kidding. A big shovel was busy widening the path. What a mess it was making. Then the path was blocked and it was an "umleitung" over very loose gavel for 300-400 M. I barely made it. It then became nice pavement again with a couple of hard packed gravel stretches. The corn, wheat, etc. fields became more pasture like and there was a lot more barge/boat traffic on the river.
I stopped at a Snell Imbiss on the cycle path for a Cola Light and a bowl of fish soup with brotchen. I went inside to order and was told I could sit at a table on the patio as there was "service". I was told this by a 50 ish year old guy who I thought was a customer. Turns out I was the only customer. While I was having lunch the Aussie couple went by. I waved but they just kept on going. I passed them later on as they were taking a break in a shady spot. She was really feeling the heat!
I arrived in Passau at 1:30 but decided it was to early to stop for the day and much to hot to go sightseeing. That was the end of book 1 of the Danube cycling series. I had to get book 2 out in order to go on. Book 2 is Passau to Vienna so look out Martin here I come.
It recommended taking the left bank route as it was in better shape and flat. In order to get to the left bank I had to back over the busy bridge I had just crossed. Fortunately there is a seperate lane for cyclists. Once I got over the bridge I set off for Obernzell. I arrived at 2:30 and stopped at a gas station for a cold drink and kuchen. I asked about a zimmer frei just on the off chance that she might know of one nearby. She got the phone directory out and called Gasthaus Zum Freishutz and reserved a room for me at 26E including b'fast. No Internet though.
I continued cycling down the main street for about 1 km and found the Gasthaus. I checked in and put my panniers in m y room. I checked the blisters of my right foot toes. They didn't look to bad. It was a very hot day - much to hot to stay in my room. I went down to the garden patio for a beer. I took my watch off to check the temperature. It was 35.8 C in the shade. When I took my watch off it was registering 33 C! I filled out my journal. To hot to do anything else so had another beer.
Two other couples arrived including the Dutch couple at 4:30 and 5:05 PM! It started raining with thunder and lightning. I asked about dinner. I was told "18:00 uhr". I went up to my room, had a shower and did my laundry.
When I went down for dinner the Dutch couple were already in the restaurant. I joined them and we had a nice chat in English. I gave them my card. They didn't introduce themselves. I still don't know their names! I guess I should have asked. While having dinner we were treated to an Umpah Pah band that went marching by in the street. The Dutch couple went out for a walk. My foot was to sore.
Before going up to my room I asked Frau about b'fast. Since tomorrow was a holiday b'fast would be at 8:00. I tried for 7:00. Nein! I tried for 7:30. Nein! She said something about being on her own ... I read the section on cycling from Passau to Linz following the right bank. Early night. Off to bed 9:00!!!
Cheers, Roly


Does anybody know what these strange looking plants are? I saw several patches of the eerie looking things along the route.

No comments:

Post a Comment