Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 11 - Europe 2011









Day 11 - Saturday, June 4, 2011 - Bad Godesberg to Koblenz - Trip 67.65 Time 4:17:44

Had a fairly good night's rest in spite of yesterday's long and difficult, at times, ride. No cramps during the night. I started packing my panniers and took one of the rear panniers and my trunk bag down to reception then went for b'fast which wasn't served until 8:00 AM on weekends. There were a few other guest already having b'fast - very unusual. Once again there was a full assorment of goodies so I really pigged out.
Before setting off for Koblenz I decided to take a quick tour of Plittersdorf (former American community) where I stayed in an apartment on my fist posting to Bonn in 1977-81. I was able to find the Bonn American School, the "Baseball Park". the Elementary School, my apt. at 13 Europe Strasse. There was someone in a big black Mercedes parked out in front. But I couldn't find any signs of the American Cinema, PX, Garage, etc. As I was leaving Plittersdorf I passed the Hof Von Holland which sure brought back a lot of memories of kuchen and pommes frites their specialty and many a glass of Kolsch after baseball games, etc. Now that's where I should have spent the night!!!
I rejoined the Rhine and set off for Koblenz at 9:45 AM. I had also planned to pass by Blumenau Strasse in Rungsdorf where I lived on my second posting to Bonn in 1993-97 but somehow missed the turnoff at the French Economat which I thought met with the Rhine. Oh well I was running a bit late so best to get on with my trip to Koblenz. There were quite a lot of people out on the very wide path along the Rhine - people riding their bikes, roller blading, walking their dogs or just walking. There were several rough patches i.e. cobble stones, crushed stone, etc. As I was crossing a covered wooden bridge a couple who were on the bridge were looking over the side into the stream below. The gentleman spoke to me and all I managed to understand was the word "forellen". Which I knew meant rainbow trout. I stopped to have a look and sure enough there were 7 or 8 foot long trout just treading water in the shallow stream. And I thought he was giving me s--t for riding my bike across the bridge!!!
I arrived in Koblenz around 2:30 PM hot and very thirsty. I found a hotel just around the corner called City Hotel Metropol. A single room with b'fast cost 65 Euros. No Wi-Fi. But I was told their was an Internet Cafe just across the street. First I had to put my bike in the garage. I was given a set of instructions in broken English (perhaps I would have been better off with the German instructions) and a key. After half an hour I was finally able to locate P 124 on level -2 (not 2) and with much apprehension parked my bike. There were all sorts of expensive cars in the underground parking including a Z4 so surely my bike would be OK. I had to go back later with my lock and sure enough there were 7-8 more bikes parked with mine. At least "Rocky" wouldn't be lonely. I looked for the Internet Cafe, finally found it after asking twice for directions, had a couple beers, checked my e-mail, updated my blog (Day 9), etc.
Went for a walk-about, found a Chinese restaurant with a nice patio where I could sit and watch the people go by. There were several groups of young ladies who were out for a stroll. They were wearing sashes and seemed to be in some sort of beauty pageant or something.
Took some photos and went back to my room for an early night.
Cheers, Roly
PARKING FOR BICYCLES
1st = Please go back, cross the road to the zebra crossing and turn right
2nd = IRISH PUB on the go by
3nd = 2nd Glass doors open (it was a barred glass door)
4th = Follow the corridor to go six small steps down
5th = green door open to a deck 1
6th = go trough a Deck 2
7th = go straight to the parking lot (left side) with No. 124!!!
and your wheels are on the right Toward the wall and seal it. Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment