Sunday, July 29, 2012

CCCT 2012 - July 17/12 - Day 59

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Tuesday, July 17, 2012 - Day 59
Thunder Bay to Nipigon, ON - Trip 104.77 kms Time 6 hrs 44 mins Avg 15.55 kph Max 46.6 kph
I had to get up at 2:30 AM to go to the w/c. It was very dark. There was no street lighting in the campground. A car and a large truck came in very fast with headlights glaring and almost blinding me. On the way back to our tent I saw flashing red lights at the other end of campground. Not sure what that was all about. My alarm went off at 5:00 AM. It was still very dark. I went back to sleep and eventually we got up at 5:50 AM. I packed up our gear and tent while Bev prepared pancakes, hot dogs and hot chocolate for breakfast at the nearby gazebo. Finally, after getting everything washed and packed, we set off for NIPIGON at 7:30 AM. We made a pit stop at a convenience store and got a bottle of water for Bev. I had put her empty bottle in her bottle cage on her bike without filling it prior to leaving the KOA campsite. There were no other facilities "OPEN" along the highway. We made another pit stop at a "Rest Area" but had to use a "GO HUT" which was quite a mess! We arrived at the STILLWATER campsite at 3:30 PM. I paid $24.86 (including tax) for a site with electricity plug in and water. After setting up our tent we cycled to the nearby Tourist Information Centre and the Husky service centre. We had ice cream and cycled back to the campsite. I checked out the wi-fi but eventually had to go inside the "OFFICE/GIFT SHOP" to get a connection. We were able to check our e-mail and I sent a reply to Lise re our ETA back in Ottawa. I also e-mailed Jim Rogers, who was travelling back from Saskatchewan with his trailer, re our location. Bev was also able to check her e-mail. We again cycled back to the Husky for dinner. I had spaghetti, salad, trifle and a diet coke. Bev had spaghetti and tea. We cycled back to our campsite. I tried to charge my GPS by plugging it in at the junction box on the pole at our campsite but there was no power. I brought it with me when we went for our showers and plugged it in in the laundry room. Afterwards I checked with the OFFICE re laundry room hours and complained about lack of power at our campsite. The receptionist came around and after finding the breaker box on the pole unlocked it and turned it on. I was already in my PJs inside the tent so Bev plugged in  my GPS for me. After sorting out my gear we were off to bed at 10:00 PM
Bev and Roly

No comments:

Post a Comment