Monday, July 9, 2012

CCCT 2012 - July 1/12 - Day 43

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Sunday, July 1, 2012 - Day 43
Carberry to Portage la Prairie, MB - Trip 93.83 kms Time 5 hrs 5 mins Max 38.1 kph Avg 18.44 kph
We were up early to try and get off to an early start to beat the heat. We had a quick breakfast of yogurt and a carrot/pinneapple muffin which we had purchased from the motel restaurant the night before as they would be closed for the July 1st holiday. After loading our gear on our bikes we set off for PORTAGE la PRAIRIE at 7:40 AM. We first had to cycle 1.5 kms on gravel before getting back on the highway. The first 18 kms was freshly paved black tarmac. Thank goodness we were past it before the temp got up to 30 C. We stopped at a "rest area" which again was on the opposite side of the highway and 1/2 km down a dirt road. It was well worth it just for the shade, modern washrooms and picnic tables. Otherwise there was not much to see along the highway.
We arrived in Portage la Prairie at 1:30 PM. We were told that we would find a laundromat in Portage that would be open on Sunday, July 1st. We cycled right across town before finding it. We then checked out several motels before settling on the Yellow Quill at $65 + taxes. Naturally it was at the opposite end of town.
After checking in to our room and unloading our gear we put all of our laundry in one of my large rear panniers and cycled back to the laundromat. It was $2.50 to do a load of laundry plus .50 cents for soap. While our laundry was being washed we went over to the nearby DQ for an ice cream. I had forgotten to bring a book or my journal so cycled back to the motel while Bev finished our laundry.
Once back at the motel I checked out the wi-fi and worked on my blog. I cleaned our water bottles and filled them with fresh water and put them in the fridge. I lay down for a nap. Finally Bev returned with the laundry and immediately went across the street  to Sobey's for groceries. She came back with fried chicken and wedge fries for me and a Swanson TV dinner for herself. While shopping at Sobey's Bev ran into several kids whom we had met previously on the very strong head wind day. They were cycling to Halifax and had met a 4th cyclist who was cycling across Canada from Vancouver to StJohns, NL. More about this later.
After packing my clothing, etc I worked on my blog again. I sent an e-mail to Angel re staying at her apartment once we arrived in Winnipeg. I chatted with my sister Doris on FB. She suggested I contact my nephew Chris who also lives in Winnipeg. I haven't seen Chris since the 70s when he used to live in Mississauga and I would stop over to visit my brother Dennis on my way to Windsor. I tried calling him using my Telus cellphone but couldn't get through. Finally Chris called me but was unable to put us up. He did invite us over for a beer though. I continued to work on my blog. Soon it was time to go off to bed at 11:00 PM.
Bev and Roly

No comments:

Post a Comment