Wednesday, July 4, 2012

CCCT 2012 - June 28/12 - Day 40

A scenic stop for lunch on the TCH
Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Thursday, June 28, 2012 - Day 40
Grenfell to Moosomin, SK. Trip 106.44 kms Time 4 hrs 47 mins Max 34.4 kph

On our way to the Manitoba border
I woke up several times during the night. The wind was really howling but our little tent held fast. I had trouble sleeping. My left shoulder was bothering me again and my improvised pillow of jackets stuffed in my rear trunk bag rain cover was to hard. It was giving me a headache. I switched to one of my front panniers that was stuffed with all my other rain covers. This was much better. I got up at 5:50 AM. The trains, that had been quiet during the night, started up at 4:30 AM. We managed to get all our gear and tent packed up by 7:10 AM and cycled to the restaurant at the highway gas station for a breakfast of French Toast. I had mine with sausages and Bev had hers with ham. She was upset that the syrup was cold! Why have hot pancakes or French Toast then cover them with cold syrup? We bought some food from the convenience store and set off for MOOSOMIN at 8:20 AM. We made "pit stops" in Broadview, White Wood and stopped on the highway at a scenic pond to eat our lunch.

We arrived in Moosomin at 1:30 PM mostly due to a very helpful tailwind. We stopped at the DQ for ice cream then looked for a grocery store. We had to stop a local to ask where to find one. He pointed out it was just a few doors up the street. We had just cycled right past it! We then checked into the Twi-Lite Motel at $70 (tax in) a bit pricy but we both needed to check our e-mail, etc. Bev went out to try and get her toe nail looked after but was unable to get a pedicure because of Grad Week. We walked back to the Legion and after signing in  had a cold beer. We were given "guest ribbons" and a Legion pin. We then went across the street for groceries and walked back to our motel. We also got a Manitoba map at the corner gas station.

I had a Hungry Man dinner warmed up in the microwave. Bev got a note from Pat on FB asking if she had heard about Tom? I had an e-mail from Angel saying there was a message on my answering machine from someone called Merve. It turned out to be from Bev's brother who wanted her to call him in Dryden. How he managed to get my number is still a mystery! I replied to Angel and worked on Day 33 of my blog. I also sent an e-mail to Rick Temple in White City to let him know that the repair to my rear rack was still holding and doing a good job. We were both very tired and off to bed at 9:00 PM.
Bev and Roly

No comments:

Post a Comment