Monday, July 9, 2012

CCCT 2012 - June 30/12 - Day 42

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Saturday, June 30, 2012 - Day 42
Oaklake to Carberry, MB Trip 104.34 kms Time 5 hrs 43 mins Max 51.4 Avg 18.25
We got up at 6:00 AM. I slept poorly because of trains, sore shoulder, rain, etc. Luckily the rain stopped and we were able to pack up our gear, wet tent and towels which we had left out on the picnic table to dry. We had a cinnamon roll, yogurt and chocolate milk for breakfast. We left for BRANDON at 7:40 AM. Rain was still threatening from the West so we hurried to get out on the highway.
We made a pitstop at a Subway in Brandon at 11:00 AM. Bev was desperate and so was I. We decided to have an early lunch. The sun had come out and it was now hot and muggy and we needed to cool off. After lunch we continued on to CARBERRY another 50 or so Ks down the road. It was very hot (29 C) but it felt more like 35 C with a gentle 7 kph tail wind. We stopped at a "rest area" which was on the opposite side of the divided 4 lane highway and down a short gravel road. Thankfully there was some shade, picnic tables and modern washrooms. Bev poured some water on my head which was very cooling. We shared a grapefruit. It was then back on the highway in the afternoon heat.
We arrived at the Carberry turnoff at 3:00 PM where there was a motel down a gravel road not far off the highway. There was a NO VACANCY sign in the Office window but I decided to ignore it. I went in and was able to get a room for $67 for the night. When I came out Bev was waiting for me with my black sleeves. They had fallen off the back of my bike on the gravel road and she had stopped to pick them up.  We unloaded our gear and went back to the restaurant for ice cream. Afterwards we returned to our room for showers and I checked out the free wi-fi. It was very flaky. We went back to the restaurant for dinner. I took my Notebook with me. Bev made me wait until after dinner before I could go on the Internet. She was able to check her GMail and send an email to her brothers Tom and Merve in Dryden to let them know we were on our way. We returned to our room. This time I had a decent wi-fi connection and was able to send e-mails to Lise and Doris but I was not prepared to take a chance on working on my blog. Not much to watch on TV so it was off to bed at 9:30.
Bev and Roly

No comments:

Post a Comment