Tuesday, July 24, 2012

CCCT 2012 - July 13/12 - Day 55

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Friday, July 13, 2012 - Day 55 
Ignace to Upsala, ON - Trip 121.02 kms Time 7 hrs 39 mins Avg 15.82 kph Max 41.2 kph
I managed to get a fairly good night's sleep in spite of many leg cramps before going to bed. I woke up at 4:30 AM with a cramp in my left outer calf. I managed to massage it out without waking Bev. We got up at 5:00 AM, packed our gear/tent and cycled to Subway for breakfast and to fill our bottles with cold water. We got 3 small bottles of Gatorade from the attached gas station convenience store before leaving Ignace at 7:00 AM for UPSALA. But first we had to get through 20 kms of road works. At the first single lane control the flag person let us go through but before we were all the way through he radioed the flag guy at the other end to let the traffic come through. The trouble is it was "BIG TRUCKS" one with a "WIDE LOAD". This was not a very smart move on their part. We were forced to go onto the shoulder. When we got to the 2nd flag person Bev asked why they had let the traffic through before we were safely clear? His reply was that they thought we would have plenty of room!!!
By this time it was getting pretty hot and because of the heat we stopped several times for breaks. We first stopped at a shop after cycling 25 kms. It was 8:30 AM. The shop didn't OPEN until 9:00 AM. Our next stop was at 11:00 AM at a "Trading Post". It was CLOSED!!! There was a table and chairs in the shade at the front of the building so we sat and enjoyed a snack just the same. As we were leaving, a guy who lived across the highway, came over and offered to fill our water bottles with fresh water. We were only to happy to accept his kind offer. 
After cycling another 10 kms or so a car pulled off the highway in front of us. It turned out to be Bev's nephew Russel and his family arriving from Toronto via Thunder Bay to attend Tom's memorial service. They had rented a vehicle and driven out to say hello to "Auntie Bev". 
We arrived in Upsala at 4:30 PM and went into the first shop we came to for ice cream. We were also able to get some information about 2 motels and bought some date squares and muffins. We cycled to the Black Spruce Motel arriving at 5:00 PM only to be told that it was now 6:00 PM. The clocks had already gone ahead one hour despite the fact we had not yet crossed the time meridien. We checked in and Bev paid $77.97 for a room for the night. After unloading our bikes, putting them in the room, having a shower and checking our e-mail we went over to the restaurant for dinner. I had Walleye Fish and Chips with coleslaw and a rice pudding for dessert plus 2 diet cokes. Very nice fresh fish. No license to sell beer and boy was I ever thirsty. Before returning to our room we bought some yogurt in the convenience store for our breakfast. Bev also paid for our dinner. She wanted to treat me. Bev received a reply from Brandy's friend in Thunder Bay. Unfortunately she was not able to put us up due to prior commitments. Bev filled our water bottles, made sandwiches and watched TV before going off to bed at 9:30 PM. I sent an e-mail to Frank Pollari on Warm Showers asking if he could put us up when we arrive in Thunder Bay before going off to bed myself at 10 PM.
Bev and Roly

No comments:

Post a Comment