Tuesday, July 3, 2012

CCCT 2012 - June 26/12 - Day 38

Cross Canada Cycling Tour - Tuesday, June 26, 2012 - Day 38
Regina to White City, SK, by pickup truck
I heard Ian come in at 2:30 AM and Elizah and Aaron get up at 5:30 AM. We slept in until 7:30 AM. I had some Greek yogurt, tea and toast with peannut butter and Nutella for breakfast. I trimmed my beard using Ian's trimmer. Bev, Aaron and Elizah went for a bike ride. Bev left her bike at a bike shop to get new handle bar wraps put on. She had to walk back home. I worked on Day 32 of my blog. Aaron made French Toast for Bev and Elizah. Somehow I missed out. They were back at 10:30 AM. Brandy, Bev's daughter, called at 11:10 AM to wish Bev a Happy Birthday. Aaron had buns, cold meats, water melon, strawberries, etc for lunch plus the left over salads from yesterday's dinner.

Ian's father, Rick, came over with the pickup truck. Aaron had trouble starting the camper van when he took it to go get some groceries. Thankfully he was able to get it started again and made it back home with lunch. Ian finally got up and joined us. Aaron drove the camper van out to White City and came back with the pickup truck. Ian had quite a struggle getting Elizah to have a nap. She put up quite a fuss for over an hour. Meanwhile we loaded our bikes and gear in the back of the truck. It was very hot and humid. I took some photos of the house, Ian, Aaron and Elizah finally asleep in her crib. While loading my bike in the truck Aaron noticed that one of the supporting rods on my rear rack was broken.  He drove us out to White City to Rick and Irene's place. We stopped at a grocery store for a birthday cake for Bev.

We arrived in White City at 4:00 PM. Once we had unloaded our bikes and gear I asked Rick if he could help me somehow fix my broken rear rack. We went in to meet Irene who is confined to a wheel chair because of MS. We had a cold beer while chatting. Richard, a neighbour, came over and offered his expertise on how to fix my rack using JD Weld, etc. Rick prepared a fantastic BBQ chicken and baked potato dinner on his new Father's Day BBQ. Bev helped prepare the salad.

There was a nasty storm brewing and Richard had to go back home to move a jacuzzi because of high winds. Aaron went over to help him. We had a wonderful dinner while the storm lashed away outside. Once the storm passed there was a very unusual cloud formation. It looked like someone had spilt a bag of large cotton balls. I neglected to take a photo!!! Richard went home again and returned with the JD Weld and a few other bit and bobs that we were to use to fix my broken rack. I'm not sure why he couldn't hang around but that's OK. Rick and I decided it would be better to use a 1/2" copper pipe to fix the break. We cut off a 1" length of it and after some filing and bending were able to get it to fit like a glove.

I filled our water bottles with fresh water and placed them in the fridge in the basement along with my CamelBack. We sat around and chatted while waiting for the Home Care nurse to arrive and put Irene to bed at 10:30 PM.  We were then off to bed at 11:30 PM
Bike repair 101
Bev and Roly

No comments:

Post a Comment